Monday, July 7, 2008

So-Cal Baby--Day One

Husbie and I decided to take a last-minute trip down to So-Cal for the 4th. We planned a few different stops along the way, which mixed it up. I am reminded why So-Cal is great--the beaches are actually warm...you don't have to wear a sweatshirt and jeans like our beaches, which was really convenient for me, since I believe vacation-time is small-amounts-of-clothing-time.

The beautiful drive there:



Checking out the beach. I love the 2nd pic--but I think it looks like an engagement ring and/or sunglasses ad, yes?


Our first stop was my future residence, Hearst Castle. It was ol' Willie Hearst's digs, and it was absolutely amazing, which is why I will live there some day. The free movie stated that he was a visionary....but I think he just spent a lot of time in Europe, and brought the look and feeling home with him. No complaints here!

I was quite tempted to trespass and be arrested for a dip in the Neptune Pool:








Next stop--the hilarious Madonna Inn. So...this kinda-crazy-guy-with-a-kinda-crazy-wife built this pink, gawdy monstrosity known to us CA peeps as The Madonna Inn. It's so cheesy, even the table sugar is pink and kitschy. Naturally, I loved every moment of it. I have been dying to go there for years, and Husbie thought it would be a funny stop along the way, so he let me book the room, and keep it a surprise.


We stayed in one of the aptly named "Rock Rooms," pulling down the Lucky Rock Room for the night. The walls were all rock--even the bathroom (and shower!!) were solid rock. I found Lance sleeping halfway down the bed during the night. I suspect he was scared of hitting his head on the "rock headboard." Valid point.

Drink in the cheesiness below:


2 comments:

Lance said...

You are a natural beauty and the favorite subject of my newest hobby, photography! Let's get the van and head to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon!

Hayley said...

definitely a sunglass/ring ad. what a hottie!