Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Wanna Rock and Roll all Night (and party everyday)

I have a little confession. We all know about this business. But what you may not know is that I have some other 80's merchandise from another band--my love never ran as deep as it did for The Kids, but I really loved me some Poison back in the day. I was especially fond of Bret. My cousin Bruce introduced me to "Look What The Cat Dragged In" one summer and I was hooked.


My prized collection

My parents banned the tape, which meant I had to get creative with my bootlegging. Said parents also banned my Poison posters, which meant I had to make homemade signs with a signmaking kit meant for garage sales ( I LOVE BRET MICHAELS!!!) Then they banned the music in the house, which prompted me buy the sheet music and play it on the piano and flute in rebellion. Seriously--the real sheet music from my Poison box below.

And, in a final act of lameness, they forbid me from going to the concert when I was 13. My friend Pam's mom was taking her, and said I could go. My mom told me that Pam's mom was trashy. I told Pam what my mom said about her mom, and then she told her mom, and we never hung out again.

In any case, I finally stuck it to Mom and Pop this evening when I attended the Cheap Trick/Poison/Def Leppard concert @ Shoreline. Lawn seats were cheap, so we decided to chill on the lawn for one last summer concert. We were running late, then had a parking meltdown that lead us to park 15 minutes away and hoof it in.

As we arrived at the ticket booth, the guy inside told us the lawn seats were $45 each with tax, reserved seats were $137 each. In the next line, I heard peeps getting $10 lawn seats, so we jumped lines. We asked if the lawn seats were the cheapest in the house, and the girl said "yes..unless you have vouchers." So we just waited there staring at her until she became uncomfortable and offered us the two best reserved seats left in the house for $10 each. It was magical. So, we got front and center, 11th row, for a grand total of $20. That's the way we roll, folks.



We missed Cheap Trick (argh!!) and most of Poison. I was really hoping for a live version of "Talk Dirty to Me" but I will have to find another way to disappoint my parents until they come back on tour.

Rikki on drums!!

Bobby, CC, Rikki and Bret!


CC bringin' it home

I suspect they were filming Rock of Love 5. Compelling evidence below.

Nothing says Rock n Roll like us--not. At least I wore my hair big and wild, my own homage to the 80's.
Next was Def Leppard. They were SO good! The amazing seats didn't hurt, either. Lj and I had a bet about the opening number. He guessed Photograph, and I said Let's get Rocked. We both lost, as they opened with Animal.





They did an acoustic set that was amazing




That was quite a night. I'm now deaf, and have 'Armageddon It' running through my head. I would hit the hay but I'm afraid of the impending nightmares brought on by the dirty rocker cougars (likely Pam's mom) leather miniskirts, and ponytailed men.

2 comments:

brooke said...

This is why I love your blog. I so needed this post today. My husband would be sooo jealous that you saw Def Leppard. This won't surprise you but he is a major fan of 80s and 90s hair bands.

I love the stories of how you got around your parents' rules as a kid. I actually learned "November Rain" on the piano and would sing the words really loud. I'm sure Axel would have approved.

The older I get, the more I realize that we still disappoint our parents--just in different ways. Wasn't that a horrible downer thing to say. I kind of mean it.

At any rate, you have a gift for scoring great seats. Great pic of you and Lancer.

Oh and I think Pam's mom sounds pretty great.

Ashley said...

I don't know how you got those tickets for $10. That is a gift I do not have. I'm sticking close to you for now on. (Sorry Lance.)