Tuesday, September 8, 2009

If You're Bored then You're Boring

I don't like boring things--I really don't like boring people. In fact, this year's Halloween party theme is "your worst nightmare" and I may go as a boring person. Or mixed fruit (eww!!!)



We here at Team Jacobs have a "family fun list" similar to my own personal fun list. This keeps us from A. being lame B. getting bored and C. never knowing what to do when we have some free time.

On the way up to SF for the day, we brought along our Frommers guide for Northern California. It has great insight into each city, and gives great suggestions for day trips, extended trips, walking trails, food, sights, etc. We went through the whole book and created our Team Jacobs Family Fun List. This was a tradition we started on this trip. We definitely did a lot of the things on that list--concerts, Napa, trip to Utah, Point Reyes, Camp Lehi. We definitely missed cooking classes, learning to kayak, beach camping, and Yosemite. These same things appeared on the new updated list.

Team Jacobs Family Fun List for 2009/2010

Mendocino 2 day trip
Learning to kayak
Segway tour of SF
Wine and art festivals
Historical SF walking tours
Boating with Dogface
Canoeing
Carmel with Dogface
Yosemite/High Sierras with camper vans and friends. Hikes to falls.
Alcatraz
Sacramento--outdoorsy stuff
River rafting with friends
Dude ranch with friends
Napa Valley/hot air balloon ride in Napa
Tour of historic SF restaurants (Slanted Door, Zadin, Foreign Cinema, Golden Boy Pizza to name a few)
Roaring Camp Railroad--dinner train through Felton
Trolley tour of SF
Checking out car/motorcycle racing
Concerts
Karaoke
Haight with a stop in at Cha-Cha-Cha's
Castro--see flick at Castro theeatre
Golden Gate Park
SF Columbarium
Cat Club for 80's night
Ruby Skye
Overnighters in SF
Muir Woods
Filoli house and garden tour
Rollerblading on Embarcadero
Fort Mason Walk
Marin Headlands walk
Russian Hill walk, shopping on Hyde Street
Tahoe
Farmer's Markets
SLO weekend
49ers/Giants game
Cooking Classes
Grand Canyon
Pismo Beach Rental
Socal Beach rental
Beach camping
Death Valley resort
Joshua Tree
Gilroy Garlic Festival
HMB Pumpkin Festival
Amtrak train ride
Vocation vacation

And that's all we wrote. Any additional suggestions?

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wait, what's mixed fruit? Like different fruits in the same bowl?! Or like a smoothie??? I'm really confused. I've been trying to think of a good costume, and I think I got a good one, but due to the fact that I am going to be extremely large at that point I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. I could always come as a pregnant grandma, that would really be a nightmare.

brooke said...

I couldn't add anything to your list but it was impressive. I love your title--I agree with it 100%. I have never been bored in my life--except maybe at work when I didn't have access to the internet or other people.

Kyle and Melanie said...

If you have never seen the Elephant Seals at Ano Nuevo Beach, I highly recommend it. It is between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. The best time to go is between Dec - March. Only if you have time, though. You already have quite the list! I do love it!

PS... We went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival, and i could smell garlic for a week... So be careful with that one :)

Lance said...

I'm ready . . .

Kristine Gray said...

I loved spending a weekend in Mendocino. There are some great hikes in the area. Yosemite is a favorite too!

Kristine Gray said...

You left off skydiving.

Ashley said...

I need to buy a Frommer's guide. Maybe then I'd be a more exciting person. Or I'll just steal your list! I want to go on the hot-air balloon ride. Doesn't Lance hate Tahoe? Scratch that!

Unknown said...

I read Team "Jacob" not Team "Jacobs". I was about to comment about how boring Team Jacob must be!

hippittee said...

ooh, i am totally lifting this concept...but family style! thanks for the inspiration!

the only thing i would possibly recommend (assuming you haven't already) is seeing Emile Norman's endo-mosaic window at the Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco. http://www.pbs.org/emilenorman/
This is on my personal list!