Monday, September 7, 2009

Weekend of Food Where I Didn't Cook Once..AKA Labor Day!

This was a exceptionally tasty weekend. Lancer came home on Friday night to find me curled up in bed reading a trashy novel. He told me that his co-workers were having a going away party for our fabulous Swedish friends, Patrick and Sus. They bought Dobbie the little stuffed pig he ate the face off of--we assured them this was a good thing. He only destroys that which he loves. We went to Sino at Santana Row--good food and great company.

Saturday we hung out and then had dinner with our friends from the Stanford Ward in Palo Alto. I'm ashamed to say that I have no pictures of said friends--but I *did* manage to capture images of the tasty spread. I guess when you have been friends with people for over a decade, you don't have to take pictures of them anymore.

The amazing guacamole--Alie, recipe please!

The ribs by April and Scott

The artisan bread by Chris and Becky

The scene

Smore by Kaari--2 marshmallows and a smear of peanut butter on a chocolate bar. Just the right amount of burn.

On Sunday we went up to SF for a delicious chicken dinner with corn soup, corn pudding, heirloom tomatoes & artisan cheeses, and a hot fruit dessert. It was divine, but I forgot the flashcard for my camera @ home. No pictures. Boo. You can read all about my famous corn pudding here. My friend, Asian Girl, would eat this night and day.

On Monday, we headed up to SF to hang in the city and take the ferry over to Jack London Square. The weather was perfection, Jack London Square less so. Bo-ring. We blew our hour by talking to a guy in a boat rental store about sea kayaking, which is our next adventure together. We're going to go back for an 8 hour, $99 class that prepares you for life in a kayak on the open sea. Let us know if you want to join us!


The Bay Bridge (one of the main bridges in SF besides GG) was closed for the weekend so they can add a new span. The original one was damaged in the big quake of 1989...and they are just getting around to it now. Way to go bankrupt state!

A great shot of Coit Tower

We ate at Taylor's Automatic Refresher--again. We're so unoriginal--but their food is always a hit, and I find myself craving their shakes and sweet potato fries. Plus, I love the sign.


We got our lunch to go, and ate on the ferry. It was much better than the junky boat offerings, which included beer, gum, and Doritos.


Inside the Ferry Building--check out the color on these heirloom tomatoes. I had tomatoes and fromage blanc from the Cowgirl Creamery for dinner. It was a fine meal.


Once back, we got some great shots of the city, and then headed home for a night of relaxing and brownie eating.
I love Labor Day. I had 4 great dinners over 4 long days. That's my kind of weekend. It's almost like I planned it that way--wink-wink.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

A few haphazard thoughts evoked by this post:

You look like a celeb in that picture towards the end in the car flashing the peace sign.

Doritos are not junky offerings. Doritos are fine cuisine.

Alie's guac looks incredible. Dang her for hiding that from me for three years.

You are taking to the open sea! You are the new Deadliest Catch! It's wild out there. Be careful my friend.

You eat way better than I do.

Alie said...

Wow- great weekend! Like I always say, you know how to live life!! I need to take more lessons from you :)

brooke said...

Where do you get off looking like you do with the way you eat? You should be 300 pounds and I mean that in the nicest way. Next time we go to SF, you will school me in all the fine eateries and I won't waste a single meal.

Doritos are disgusting. Cheetos, on the other hand, are a delicacy.