Friday, September 18, 2009

Beets are the new Black

I had one of the busiest weeks of my life. Let's recap. **Items not necessarily in order. It's Friday, I'm tired.**

Got a text from The Uncle, who was in town with his band, Los Straitjackets. Checked out the show at Slim's, and had a tasty dinner in SF.

Took a day off, and did our semi-annual girl's trip to Napa. Started out at Boonfly where I had a yummy heirloom tomato salad and a breadless BLT. I instructed them on the proper way to just slather the mayo right onto the bacon. Mmm.

Continued our weird jewelry pool. Every time we hang out, we immediately take off our rings, set them on the table, and take turns wearing one another's baubles throughout the meal. This puzzles our spouses and/or outsiders.

Did a little outlet shopping (scored some shoes and a cute wool cap!) and then hit up Bouchon Bakery. Jo-Jo and I pigged out on chocolate and caramel covered Rice Krispie bars topped with sea salt.

On the way back from the bakery, we saw a sign in a window touting $1 oysters. We felt the need to drop in.

I got a delish french onion soup topped with Gruyere.

Our oysters!

We shared a beet salad. I'm totally coming around on beets--this one had a citrus vinaigrette, oranges, and feta. It was so good. Beets are the new black.

Hauled it back up to SF to see Sugar Ray, one of my favorite all time bands. They have such great energy, and Mark is a great entertainer. I won't comment on how hot he is, b/c I think I'm only allowed to have one music crush, and Mark ain't it, yo. But I'm sure all of you will find these pictures entertaining.




The girlies @ Sugar Ray. Have I ever mentioned the special place this band has in my heart? No really. Everytime I am contemplating a big decision, and I hear Sugar Ray on the radio, my deicsion always turns out great. Heard them when I met Lance, when we got engaged, and on the way to get married. Coincidence? I think not.

Had a Gossip Girl party to celebrate the return of our favorite show featuring headbands and pearls. It's all about the Bass, baby.

Partying like they're heading off to rehab soon...

You can't see it, but my hounds tooth jacket has real fur around the collar. It was tres appropriate for the occasion.

Saw some gorgeous clouds on my way back up to SF (again!!)

Co-hosted a baby shower for Vickie. Yes, I just did her bridal shower like 5 weeks ago. Allright, more than that...but it still seems fresh in my mind.

Hot Mama.


The famed diaper cake. I have only seen one of these on a SATC episode. It was funny to see one in real life.
Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and white chocolate--thanks Cathy!


It was a brunch, so we kept it simple and light. We served:

*Holiday Breakfast
*Brooke's salad (SO GOOD!!)
*Fruit platter
*Mini-croissants with Irish butter and homemade jam
*Sparkling lemonade
*The gorgeous cupcakes seen earlier

Kidnapped our friend Hayley, which is sort of our little thing that we do. Hint-hint, ladies. If you're around 8 months prego, friends with us, and your husband asks with a hint of disdain why you are in your pajamas at 7pm, you should go and change into a cute outfit ASAP to avoid this:

She cleans up nicely, yes?

Had tasty kabobs and an entire plate of deviled eggs from The Dutch Goose with The Asian. Seriously--these things need to be on a Food Network special about eggs. I'm writing the letter now; look for it next Easter!



Phew. Nighty-night. I need a weekend just to recuperate from last week. And a serious workout.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, I'm exhausted from your week. I am totally Tier 1 bc I knew Sugar Ray couldn't be your boyfriend even before I read this post. I am glad I made it into this post (behind Vickie). I'm so glad to have your holiday breakfast recipe.

brooke said...

Your week makes my gourmet dinner on Monday look like nothing. Good Grief girl--do you ever sleep? I love that you love food as much as me. We would get along great.

Christine Short said...

I can't even begin to tell you how jazzed I am that you have a taste for beets. I almost always add them to a salad when it's an option and he calls me an old lady. Boo! Now I can tell him I'm not the only one. That salad looked D.I.V.I.N.E.

ShopGirlSF said...

That Beet Salad was divine! Tried making my own version, needs some work but came out edible!