Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Do Not Have Swine Flu, THANKYOUVERYMUCH


My shoulders, neck, and upper back have been giving me fits for the past few days. I have tried stretching, heating, icing, rolling, rubbing...to no avail. I decided that I needed professional intervention, and headed to my local no-frills/cheapie massage therapy studio.

It started out just fine--the right pressure, lots of deep tissue work, fake ocean waves being piped into the room. After about 45 minutes of being face down, however, my nose started getting plugged up. I tried to re-adjust my face, but it wasn't helping, so I started breathing through my mouth. This made my breathing shallow, so I tried my nose again, but was straining for air--lots 'o' sniffing.

No worries, though! Just as my rebellious sinuses started acting up, my therapist told me he was going to wash his hands--when he returned, I should be on my back. I flipped over, and was breathing easy. Too bad I can't say the same for my massager guy.

Upon his return, he started working on my neck. The pressure felt right, but something was off. I quickly realized he had rubber gloves on!! I knew in my heart of hearts that when I popped an eye open I would see a face mask--yep, I was right. Rubber gloves always go with a protective face mask. It's the combo I see @ SFO whenever I fly.


I wanted to shout that I didn't have swine flu, and that my "breathing problems" were due to extreme pressure on back/squished face, but I doubt he would have believed me. The best part was when he tried to run his hands through my hair and get to my neck, but the gloves got stuck in my curls.

Thank goodness I didn't book a facial with him.

5 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

oink

Ashley said...

Oh man, I'd be ticked to get a massage involving rubber gloves. Massages are awkward enough anyway--don't get me wrong I love them but, you know.

brooke said...

Yeah--how did he rub you with rubber gloves on? I love massages and just got one from massage envy for their breast cancer fund raiser. I had a woman this time.

I used to always request men (strong hands!) until recently because here in UT, there have been all these accusations about male masseuses (spelling?) groping their clients. A few guys ruin it for the rest!

teuscher travels said...

That is horrible, so not relaxing to see your masseuse totally covered up! coughing supposedly is the true sign of swine flu, if they are going to be a germ freak they should at least get their facts straight:)

Lance said...

Maybe you do have the flu of the swine. Maybe what you experienced was the first symptom.