Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pocket Change


I HATE change. I will do anything to avoid having to use it. It will pool at the bottom of my purse, in my jackets, and in my car console. I just prefer clean, crisp benjamins. Is that so wrong?

I finally collected my stupid money jars and went to Coinstar. This service is fly because if you put the duckets toward a gift certificate, you get to keep the whole amount.

I clicked on Itunes thinking I would pick up a few free songs. Yeah, I got 182 free songs, because I had a disturbing $182.00 in change. Accountants (or other weird people who like money puzzles...yawners...) here's the breakdown: 3 dollars, 434 quarters, 470 dimes, 237 nickels, and a staggering 1241 pennies. Even the machine knew I was a weirdo--it kept saying "My you have a lot of change! Please wait while the machine catches up." Translation: "You are a freak."


Even weirder, I brought Lance's change jar along, and got him an Amazon gift card. Guess what his jar ponied up? $183.00 Isn't that odd? We're both change weirdos. Peeps, it must be love.

The best part of this whole deal is that I get to buy songs I was too embarrassed to actually pay for...but free songs?? Order me up a copy of the Cha-Cha Slide, please. Cause I'm about to slide to the left, slide to right and then criss-cross. You know what I'm talking about.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Brian is always telling me to do this so I will tell him your most inspiring story- You didn't say how long you have been dropping the coins in.

Ashley said...

Tyler despises change so much he used to just throw it away. I convinced him to start putting it in a little container. I will now be taking that container to Coinstar. I didn't know you could get the whole amount transferred to a gift certificate. Sweet!

Unknown said...

haha. I love the cha-cha slide :) one hop this time haha

I also collect change. I have a big glass jar on my shelving unit in my office that collects it for me. When it's full, I return it. Normally putting out about $200.00 each time, depending on how many quarters/pennies I have.

teuscher travels said...

It must be love:) I cant believe you have so much change! And awesome to get so many songs!

The Mostess said...

Probably years to be honest, but it's hard to say.

They have great retailers, though. Amazon, Itunes, Lowe's, Borders, AMC theatres, Starbucks...it's great!

Brett Nordquist said...

I hate change too. The kids counted the change I saved last year and found about $150 worth. Years ago I had a huge Pepsi bottle and we tossed coins in it for a few years. I think we had over $500 when we took it to Coinstar.