Monday, January 26, 2009

How to be the Hostess with the Mostess

Hosting shindigs is my favorite hobby, which is why I have an entire shed dedicated to it. I think parties are a great way to get to know people, and to start fun and new traditions with friends and family. A lot of the parties started as a one-time thing, and then grew into an annual bash. It may look breezy and effortless, but it takes a lot of work! I spend countless hours planning and decorating for every party. Here are my top ten party tips, honed from years of perfecting the art of partying.

How to Be Your Very Own Hostess with the Mostess:

1. If you ask people to do something for you (dress up, bring something to share, act a fool) you need to give them incentive to do so. The crazier the request, the more people get in return. For instance--I always have prizes for best costumes when I make people dress up. And, when I require peeps to bring, oh, 72 cookies, I give them dinner and a cute platter in return!


2. Have a theme. It doesn't have to be a 'theme-theme' just a general idea, feel and vibe for your party. Obvious themes like holidays and birthdays are easy--it's the others that are a bit hard. I always have a theme in mind, and it dictates the food, music, color scheme, and table setting.


3. Make a good playlist. I'm all about the mixtape...you have to have good music! Mix in fun popular songs with tunes that fit your theme. For instance--I always play jazz at showers, fun girly music for GNO's, music with 80's for Lance's parties, music with 90's for my parties, Halloween songs for Halloween...you get the idea. One of the best compliments I ever received (thanks, Alie!) was when my friend said "I need to pee, but I can't take a break from dancing because all of the songs are awesome!" That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

4. Pick formal or informal, and stick with it--from the big things to the small details. For instance--if I'm doing paper plates, I'm also doing paper cups, plastic silverware, paper tablecloths, etc. If I go all out with real linens, you better bet I will have real glasses, real silverware, real plates. One of my pet-peeves (for my own parties...I judge not for yours) is when I get lazy and mix real silverware with, say, paper plates. It's just not right. If you can't go all out, don't go halfway!


5. You don't always have to go all out. I used to--it's not worth it. No one cares if you use a paper tablecloth for your candy apple bar. And if they don't care, I don't care. The same goes for potluck parties...have people bring a dish. It saves everyone time and energy for everyone, especially you!

6. But do go all out for special occasions. Showers and milestone birthdays always top my list. I never half-hitch it for these parties.


6. Have a mix of both sweet and savory foods. Lance and I once went to a Valentine's party (no one you know...stop guessing) and all they had were sweets....with sodas. Cakes, brownies, pie, ice-cream, and sugary sodas. Everyone kind of looked like they were going to barf. Taking the theme into consideration, I do a mix of hearty foods, healthy foods, and sweet foods. For instance--I always have hearty dishes (shrimp, meatballs, crab dip, 7-layer dip), healthy dishes (fruit platter, veggies, hummus, chips & guacamole/salsa) and sweet dishes (cookies, cake, candy).


7. Have good drinks. I always set out water with lemon. Then I do a beverage tub with assorted drinks--Diet Coke, Coke, Sprite, Rootbeer, Crush--you name it, it's in there. Ice cold and ready to go.8. Be mindful of the guestlist. Friends don't always mix well--and that's okay. If you're doing a more formal party, invite people who know one another and/or have common threads. For parties in a casual environment, I really mix it up.

9. Have good supplies. Tablecloths, platters, tongs, bowls, beverage tubs, vases. I never buy these new or full-price. I always get them from Goodwill, Costco, on sale, or off Craigslist. I once got a tub of stuff from a wedding for 50 people--plates, glasses, mugs, saucers, platters...for $80 total! I then grabbed 2 cases of wine goblets from Costco--24 glasses for $19. Wal-Mart has these cheapie silverware sets--6 utensils for $1. I bought a set of spoons and forks. No excuse for using plastic...plus, it's more environmentally friendly.

10. Never spend time in the kitchen. I am never in the kitchen. Never! I want to mingle and party with my guests. All of the food is prepared in advance, and if it can't sit out, sit on ice, or sit on my warmer, I don't serve it. I do an hourly sweep to check on the food and drink levels, but that's it.


I hope you have enjoyed my very own top 10 list. It's not quite as compelling as, say, the 10 commandments, but there is way more wiggle room with mine. No smiting and such.

9 comments:

Kyle and Melanie said...

Great Tips. I think I might just have to print them out. You need to publish all of this in a book...

brooke said...

One of your greatest posts ever--this is the New Ten Commandments. I am printing this out for reference. I love that you don't spend the whole party in the kitchen--I love it when the hostess is having fun--it makes the guests feel at ease and the whole thing is relaxed. Great list!

Ashley said...

I love this post. Hope you don't mind that I linked to you. I second what Brooke said about mingling with your guests--so much more fun for all! Also, I love that you provide water and soda at all your parties. I hate not having my beverage needs met at a party or shower. You are the master. And you do make it all seem breezy!

Angela said...

Great post- I will highlight this on my blog tomorrow with your link!

clooneymom said...

I think you should post your super successful crock pot chocolate fondue recipe - that was a REAL winner - ha ha!!

The Mostess said...

Oh, yes, the chocolate fondue! Great memory. Remember when I said partying is harder than it looks? I once made a fondue that turned into a hard, solid brick of chocolate 20 minutes before the party started.

Which is why I plan better, and use better recipes.

Kristine Gray said...

I tell everyone you are THE SOURCE when it comes to hosting a party. People should print this out and laminate it.

Thanks again for the great shower!

@jenhalloran said...

Fab post -- love your tips for reducing stress while ALSO acknowledging that throwing great parties that look effortless requires er, effort!

P.S. My husband is a big fan of yours. Glad he passed along this link...

American Homemaker said...

Hosting parties is my very fave!