Sunday, January 11, 2009

Comfort Food


One of the things I miss most about eating wheat are all of the comfort foods...stacks of pancakes, casseroles, pies, biscuits and gravy, french toast. Mmm. I haven't had a good "down-home" tuna noodle casserole for years because it calls for Cream of Mushroom soup, and the Campbell's version contains wheat. However--I had heard that Progresso makes a 'Creamy Mushroom' soup that I figured would be a good substitute if I could get my hot little hands on it.

Apparently, it's nearly impossible to find "West of the Mississippi" (according to people online) but I have always looked. I was at Lucky's in Santa Clara the other day, and decided to just check and see. HALLELUJAH!! They had it. It was a staggering $3.08 a can (compared with Campbell's which runs about 89 cents a can...argh) but I snatched up 2, and decided to make a tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner. It was SO good. The soup worked just like the wheat-y one--in fact, it was far richer and creamier than Campbell's. We just finished off our 3rd helpings. It's now officially gone. Recipe below for all of you lucky Celiacs.

Gluten-Free Tuna Noodle Casserole:

3 cups of GF noodles (I used Tinkyada shells)
1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup--it has large mushrooms chunks in it, so I pureed it in the blender, but do what you prefer
1/4 cup GF bread crumbs (could use potato chips, or just skip this)
1 TBS melted butter
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 TBS butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
2 small cans of tuna packed in water

Cook the noodles until al dente--it took mine about 10 minutes.

Combine melted butter and bread crumbs. Set aside.

Sautee onions and celery with the 3 TBS of butter until tender.

Combine onions, celery, peas, cooked noodles, tuna, 1/4 cup of the cheese and soup. Mix well. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bread crumbs or other topping. Bake in 1.5 quart casserole dish.

Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Enjoy. Cite me as inspiration.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

We had brownies for dinner tonight, and now that looks really good!

I think we have the same blender.

Kristine Gray said...

Thanks for the recipe. Did you go to the Luckys @ Lawrence and El Camino?

The Mostess said...

Yep--that's the Lucky's!

I love our blender. We salvaged it from a Goodwill discard pile...brand new!

Hayley said...

get out. we had tuna casserole for dinner the other night too! something fishy's going on here.