Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Calistoga

Lancer has been under a fair amount of stress in the last few weeks. We thought about heading to Vegas or Palm Springs...but then decided to pack up and head back to the Napa Valley.

This time, we decided to camp out in Calistoga, a fun and quaint little town in Wine Country. We stayed at Dr. Wilkinson's--this place is a serious trip. It's from the 1950's, and I feel like June Cleaver taking a spin in the mud baths. It's hilarious--I love that they haven't updated it at all.


They have 3 natural springs--two outdoor, and one indoor--the water is so warm and relaxing.


We got up early and headed down to the spa. I was hoping Lancer would enjoy the mud bath--it's certainly not for everyone. It's a little stinky, with a mixture of hot peat moss and volcanic ash. But he really enjoyed it. We got a special package that included a mud bath, mud mask, mineral bath, steam room, blanket wrap and massage. The other great thing about the good Doctor's place is that it's very affordable--it's a good, basic "no-frills" spa.

That's not me in the mud. Cameras are not allowed, as you're in the mud all nekki.


We dined on some seriously tasty vittles:


At Bouchon, I started out with the mixed greens topped with a red wine vinaigrette, warm goat cheese and herbs de provence. Lancer snatched up the onion soup, and I have to say, it was one of the top 5 things I have ever eaten. I then moved on to the halibut atop caramelized onions and heirloom tomatoes in a tomato broth. To die for. Lancer pigged out on the trout topped with green beans and almonds. After lunch, we hit the Bouchon Bakery for some tarts, cookies, and a peanut butter cup the size of my head. A foodie's dream come true. :)

After lunch, we headed back for a kip, a swim, and then went to Greystone for dinner @ the CIA. As always, it didn't disappoint. We shared an apple salad, and then Lancer got the chicken while I got the steak. He ended with the pear tart, and I got the creme brulee. TO DIE FOR.

We also picked up this funny horse for our garden:


And I got to break in my new European walking shoes--yay:


We reluctantly mozied our way back home today totally relaxed, recharged and ready to go. Plus, we got to bring back some of our favorite spoils from Bouchon and Woodhouse. Yum-o.

No comments: