Sunday, November 23, 2008

Visualize Whirled Peas


I've been dreaming of Anderson's Split Pea Soup. Remember when we ate there for the very first time?? I bought 2 bags of split peas, and promised to whip up a batch in my crockpot when it got cooler. Today was that day, and out came the legendary peas!

I deviated from the recipe on the bag a tiny bit, but it was just as tasty as Anderson's, just a bit heartier. It also has ham in it, which adds great flavor and makes it a more substantial meal. The recipe is naturally gluten-free, so if you have the enormous pleasure of being allergic to wheat like me, you're in luck. What fun we have with our diets!! I should be 100 lbs, considering the fact that I can't eat carbs. And yet...I find myself at Jazzercise. Go figure.

Recipe below. Enjoy!

Split Pea Soup in the Crockpot
1 lb package of dried green split peas
2 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, diced

3 ribs of celery chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
5 1/2 cups hot water

1. Layer ingredients in the crock pot in the order that they’re listed and pour in water. Do not stir ingredients.
2. Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft. Remove bay leaf. Serve. Earn rave reviews. Cite me as inspiration.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

oooo- you shall be cited as inspiration. tyler is always requesting a good split-pea soup recipe. we will have to try it!

The Mostess said...

Go for it..it's cheap and easy!

Angela said...

I will cite you as the inspiration- I have 300 pounds of beans, a new crock pot as of Monday- so I am checking this out ASAP!