Monday, November 10, 2008

How Many Licks??


This post by our friend made me laugh. I took candy, and customer service in general, *very* seriously as a kid. When my sister was going through some old family boxes, she found a letter written by me when I was probably 8 or so. It was written on the duck stationery I likely stole from my sister--I know this because my paper always had pigs and hers always had ducks. Here's what it said:

Dear Paula Young Wig Company,

Thank you so much for your fine wigs. I really like them. I think it's nice that you have such nice wigs. Thank you again for your wonderful wigs.

Love,
Kaari


The poor Paula Young wig company--they probably thought I was a little bald cancer victim. The truth was far less sad and far more funny--I was just a weird kid who felt it was her duty to give nice feedback. I called and wrote shampoo companies, toy companies, and food companies all the time.

Back to the importance and seriousness of candy. Sadly, I fell for the the old 'you get a free Tootsie Pop if your wrapper has an Indian pointing to the star' rumor. I ate a LOT of suckers, wildly scouring the wrapper for said Indian. I saved up five of them, and was beyond glee as I stole a stamp, mailed them in to the Tootsie Pop company, and waited for the free suckers to be sent to me. I waited and waited and waited and waited...you get the idea.


Part of me is glad that Brett called up the evil candy empire and put them on the spot. On a candy related note, Tootsie Pop is offering up 50k to the reader that is able to accurately guess the amount of licks it truly takes to get to the center. Mr. Owl is waiting below:

http://www.askmrowl.biz

Forgive me, I am on my way to collect 50k, and long-awaited redemption from the good peeps at Tootsie.

6 comments:

Brett Nordquist said...

I enjoyed reading your post and now wish I had thought of some witty question to ask concerning the Indian Star. I did like how Tootsie has an entire PDF file available for download about that topic.

Hayley said...

so it's a lie? i always collected them too, but never sent them in. i did, however, write to the m&m/mars company once to give a shout-out to peanut m&m's and i DID get a coupon for a free bag. try it!

brooke said...

I've never seen a good wig, or at least one that didn't look like a wig when someone was wearing it. I also thought you got a free sucker when the wrapper had a star--I just never did anything about it.

Ashley said...

I have a costco box of those suckers in my car because Charlie (and by Charlie I mean me) loves them. The pig and duck stationary makes me nostalgic for the 80s.

Kyle and Melanie said...

Thanks for finding my blog! Your blog is way cute!

When I was little, I heard from friends that if I brought the sucker wrapper into the store, they would trade the wrapper in for a new sucker. I tried it so many times...it NEVER worked. I obviously couldn't take "NO" for an answer. I hope you can collect the 50k!

Angela said...

I am still collecting wrappers and sadly enough I am still eating Tootsie pops like crazy- I steal them from my kids too! Bad Mom!