Monday, November 24, 2008

Heart Attack


I had one this week. It was not fun.

So--Lance was traveling this week, and he spent 3 days in Montreal. When he travels, I'm on high alert--I wake up if I hear suspicious noises, cracks, or rattling. Considering the fact that I have a dog in and live in a creaky old house, I hear these things a lot. I should be used to it, but I'm not. One way I deal with it is to try and think rationally about the noises when they first wake me up. Here are my steps:

1. Identify the noise (cat on roof, house settling, wind...)
2. Do a little investigating (check to see if anything/anyone tripped the motion detectors)
3. Tell myself it's fine
4. Go right back to sleep.

Last night, I heard what I thought was the cat on the roof again. I was just about to go back to sleep when I realized the sound was actually in my room. I thought Logan had somehow escaped his cage when something next to me started moving in the bed. I touched it, and tried to identify what it was...then I realized if it were Logan, he wouldn't be under the covers, he would be on top of them.

I flew out of bed and ran for the lights. The second my hand reached for the switch, I heard Logan in the kitchen, moving around in his cage. Which meant...he was NOT in my room, and SOMETHING else was...and it was moving around in my bed.

My heart was pounding as I threw the switch...and Lance sat up in bed. He could tell I was scared, and asked what was wrong. I couldn't figure out what he was doing home, and why he was in bed. Then I realized what day it was--Sunday morning, 3 am--and he had been home since Friday night. For some reason, I thought it was Thursday night, and that he was gone. I just kept repeating "I thought you were traveling, I thought you were gone!" over and over until I was totally awake, and had the chance to calm down.

My heart was going crazy, but lucky for me, I fell back asleep. Lancer wasn't so lucky--he couldn't fall asleep for 3 hours. I kind of hoped he had forgotten what happened until he woke me up with the line "Good Morning Freaky!!!!"

So much for that.

6 comments:

Alie said...

That's hilarious... well, not really. I totally sympathize with you about being home alone. Totally freaky.

Hayley said...

hilarious! i'm so glad you're alive to tell us about it. i would have shot through the roof too.

Kyle and Melanie said...

OK, you totally freaked me out. Good story telling.

Lance said...

Thanks for not Tasing me!

Angela said...

Oh not funny- I have had similar incidents with Brian. I scream, yell, freak out-pass out! Aughhhhh!


By the Bonnie and Dave just think you are the greatest. They keep saying you, Lori and I are so much a like- they can't stop saying fab things about you!

Angela said...

PS Tell Lance to open us his blog to me- not fair!