Tuesday, June 24, 2008

McGrody


I did something I haven't done in a long time--I ate @ McD's. For most people, this is no biggie. For me, however, this was monumental. In my previous pre-husbie-healthy-mostly organic-life, I was a *wee* bit of a McAddict. Let's just say that the weird Big Mac dude in Supersize Me could have very easily been my soulmate if I hadn't steered my way onto a new course.


It started in high school--my posse would dart out for a quick lunch, and then rush back to school. The deets are fuzzy, but I recall only having 2 choices for lunch--McD's and The Sev. Well, and school lunch, but after a semester of having my "open campus" privileges revoked for too many McTardys, I was McNever-eating-there again!


High School became College and then College became Real Life. And the McAddiction continued. Every day....a number 1 with Diet Coke and hot fudge sundae with nuts. I should be 800 pounds. People told other people about me at parties...I was their back-pocket party trick.


I knew all of the drive-through people, especially the army dude @ the location on Page Mill and El Camino in my old hood. If no one was in line behind me, we would chat about life. I had an ex in the car once, and after 5 minutes of our chatting, he asked how I knew the guy. Duh! I knew him through the McD's drive-thru window. Why the weird face??


Then one day it hit me. The food was making me sick. Really sick. About this time, I found out I am *highly* allergic to gluten, which rules out wheat. I tried the Bunless Big Mac a few times, but the love and desire waned. McDless Days turned into McDless Weeks which turned into McDless Months. And so the story comes full circle. I opted to swing by yesterday morning for a Muffin-less Egg McMuffin meal. 5 minutes later, I cursed Ray Kroc and his demon food. I was *so* sick all day. And I had no one to blame but myself. Well, me and that loser clown Ronald. I ain't lovin' it!!

1 comment:

stacycaye said...

Okay. It was too much. I had to create an account so I could post, so all your current friends can know the truth that is your past!!!! But alas, you did come clean as a former McDonald's junkie. That was the FIRST thing that came to mind as I started to read! Too funny. This is stacy, btw.