Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Getting My Hair Did


So..I have some serious roots. And visible split-ends. It's not the end of the world, but it's also not very hot.

I have resisted using the hair-girl my friends all use because she knew me when I was 19, and well, I'm embarrassed by that fact. She knew me when I wore high-waisted pants, Birkenstocks with wool socks, and that unfortunate phase when I bought most of my clothes from the Haight.

Read: Ugly, ill-fitting clothing better off on Rayanne Graff from My So-Called-Life, who, sadly was my inspiration. Ugh.

She also knows me from when I was a regular at church dances, and by regular, I mean obsessed to the point that I would drag anyone I could find with me on my quest for eternal love every Friday night. I didn't find love, but I did find a guy that peed in my garage...on Valentine's Day...I'll post on that one later.


My super-awesome "boyfriend" at this time was also embarrassing. He thought he was black, when in fact, he was very white. Well..3/4 white. Here's how this went:


Super-Awesome-"Boyfriend"-From-The-Mid-Nineties: I'm black.


Me: Hmm. Really? You don't look black. You look a little tan... (trails off)


Super-Awesome-"Boyfriend"-From-The-Mid-Nineties: Yeah, I'm 1/4 black.


Me: Right...so you're like 3/4 white, right??


Super-Awesome-"Boyfriend"-From-The-Mid-Nineties: No. I'm 1/4 black.


Me: Silence


This is how it ended:


Me: Bummer that your family sucks. You can come home with me for Christmas if you want.


Super-Awesome-"Boyfriend"-From-The-Mid-Nineties: What's your family going to think when you bring home a black man?


Me: I thought I was bringing you home???


Super-Awesome-"Boyfriend"-From-The-Mid-Nineties: Silence.


Can I really get my hair did by someone who knew this chapter in my life? $60 highlights says I can.

No comments: