Friday, April 4, 2008

I'm Kind of A Nerd..And That's Okay

My good friend, the television, is seriously testing me this evening. Competing channels are playing Lord of The Rings *and* Star Wars. WTH? That's like asking me to choose a favorite kid...in our case, our yet-to-be-conceived-but-already-named-kids. Don't ask me their names, because I won't tell you.

I realized long ago that people, even good friends, don't realize I have a seriously geeky side. For instance, let me recall a recent conversation:

Nerdy Me: "I've been in a fight before. In 6th grade, my friend ripped the oversized bow off the back of my dress right before a band recital, so I hit her over the head with my flute."

Collective Friends: "You were in band???"

Nobody even mentioned my flute-related violence. They were all stuck on the fact that I had been in band. FYI, I played the flute for 5 years, and I played the piano for many years, too. My sister and I created our own library in the playroom, complete with a dewey-decimal system. I took Latin. I had a Jabba the Hut playset. I wore glasses. I had no control over my naturally curly hair. I won the spot in my 6th grade spelling bee. I beat *all* of the early Nintendo games. I was the Editor of both the newspaper and the yearbook in high school. I did the midnight viewing of Star Wars Episodes 1-3. I was the annoying, overachieving kiss-up in college. I fret about whether I should watch LOTR or Star Wars, on a Friday night, people.

Seriously...nerdville. I've always been outgoing and super-social, however, so maybe this hides my inner nerd a little too well. Or maybe it's just unique to find a nerd that also has Tony Soprano-like moments where they deck someone over the head with their flute. You lookin' at me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME????

No comments: