Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mama's Joe


Growing up, my family called Manwich "Mamwich"...as in "yes, Ma'am, I'll have another sandwich." It wasn't until I got married that the error of my ways were pointed out. I always used this canned shortcut--fast, cheap, and easy--until I had some of my MIL's joe. It's sooo good, and we eat it day and night when we go to Utah for Christmas.

I like it so much I even humor her by placing a paper towel over the joe in the bowl every single time I heat some up. Lance has the cleanest parents on earth. It's a wonder they like me since I'm a sloppy-slopperson--I always end up with food on my face and clothing no matter how hard I try. I can't wait to have kids to blame it on--"um, yeah, Lil' Johnny sure is an oinker. Look at what he did to my shirt!"

Here's Bon-Bon's sloppy joe recipe. It's also fast and easy--try it next time. You won't be disappointed. We had it for dinner last night and lunch today. Nummy-nummy. I eat mine with plain old potato chips. Kids love it.

Bon-Bon's Sloppy Joe's


2 lbs lean ground beef, drained
1 can tomato soup--can use plain tomato sauce to make GF
1 chopped onion
3/4 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar, or to taste. I like the full 1/2 cup.
2/3 cup water (scant)
2 TBSPS. red wine vinegar
2 TBSPS. Worchestershire Sauce, addl for use while browning onion and beef
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt or to taste
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
Pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef and onion with some
worchestershire until thoroughly cooked through. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding brown sugar last. Let simmer until thickened. If it's a little on the runny side, thicken it up with a little cornstarch. This recipe is gluten free. Also works well doubled and tripled--I served it 2 years ago at my cookie party, and it was g-o-n-e.

Don't forget Bon-Bon's Holiday Breakfast--another fam fave.

8 comments:

Kristene Francis Robertson said...

This looks yummy. I can't wait to try this out with my picky eaters.

Ashley said...

Saweet. I think I shall make it tonight. I have buns and everything.

brooke said...

I loovve me so good sloppy Joes. I always use Manwich too--we were raised on the stuff. I do think I'm going to try this recipe--I actually have everything except an onion. I love that you forget (or don't care to) cover stuff in the microwave. Me either. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to walk two feet to grab a paper towel. Thanks for the nummy recipe.

Alie said...

Yum- I haven't had this since high school

Kyle and Melanie said...

It's so funny that you posted this today, because I totally made Manwich sloppy joes for dinner today. HAHA. As we were eating, I told Kyle that this was the last time I would ever make a Manwich sloppy joe because it just wasn't cuttin' it. So I am so excited to try your recipe. It looks MUCH better than the ol' Manwich can :)

Kristine Gray said...

The best way to eat it is to put the potato chips right in the sandwich. yum!

The Mostess said...

I'm totally lazy about the paper towel--mostly because I just don't care about a messy microwave.

So glad no one pressed for an explanation about the "scant" amount of water. I have no idea what that's about.

Lance said...

Thanks for whipping this up. You are the best!