Friday, July 31, 2009

The Giant Camera

SF has many large-scale attractions. One is The Giant Camera, or if you're smart and fancy, Camera Obscura. It's literally a giant camera situated underneath the Cliff House, another SF landmark. It's the 3rd version of the Cliff--the other two were destroyed in fires.

Husbie and I decided to spend a day in the city, and go somewhere besides Union Square. A novel idea, yes?


The Giant Camera. Just like it says. No one was manning the place, and it was locked. We went into the gift shop and asked them what was up--they told us the guy in charge just doesn't show up on days when it's cloudy. Um....right. Have you ever been to SF? It's the Forks of CA. The Cullen fam could hide in the city year round. According to this logic, the Giant Camera is open approximately 5 days a year. We didn't get in--what a bust.

But we didn't fret long, we just moved along and scurried inside the Cliff House for lunch and warmth. I got the Crab Louis. Who needs a gigantic camera? I'll take a gigantic plate 'o' crab.

Lucky Lancer got the open-faced crab sandwich--their famous dish.

We enjoyed our lunches while sitting watching out over the ocean. I love this state.

Lj got to try the hot, eggy popovers. I got to eat the butter. Boo-not a tradeoff. He asked me to shove a bunch in my purse to take, but I'm no low-class, pack-mule, popover thief. I'm a classy lady.

Yeah right! Check out my nifty handywork below.

The "packed beach" on the "lovely" and "warm" July day.

Maybe it's this friendly sign? I know that makes me want to jump right in. What a way to mince words, City Department!

After freezing on the beach, we headed down to check out the Dutchie windmill in Golden Gate Park. How have I lived here for 15 years and never seen this thing? I went to school a few blocks away. Hmm.

Totally unrelated, but I'm very pleased with our plush landscaping. It's enjoyed the mild summer weather--all of the plants have really taken off. I can't believe how much they have grown in the past 3 years. Lancer does a wonderful job keeping the yard in tip-top shape. He has quite the green thumb.


7 comments:

teuscher travels said...

I have never heard of the giant camera. The sign made me laugh. I am so glad you shoved the popovers in your purse. I can think of nothing more relaxing than sitting in your beautiful yard- good job Lance! And I couldnt figure out how to string those thoughts into a paragraph so you get just sentences....

Life's a Dance said...

Sounds like a pretty welcoming place - attraction where the lazy caretaker never shows up and a sign by the water that says you could drown. At least the food and windmill looked cool! :)

Ashley said...

All things gigantic and miniature, right?

As for the rolls, I can't decide if it is worse if you just tossed them right in your purse, or if you stole that linen napkin. Perhaps you found a respectable third alternative?

The Mostess said...

Exactly! All things ginorm or puny!

I didn't lift a linen napkin--I limit my thievery to food products. I placed it on a piece of (clean!) paper on top of things in my purse, and then covered the purse with my coat. Plus, my purse is Coach, so the interior is high-class.

Oh, I have a gross old binky in said "high-class" purse. I think it belongs to a redhead of yours. Take your pick on which one.

brooke said...

They share binkies so it belongs to both of them :-) That crab Louis salad makes my mouth water. I'm dying to try the Cliff House. Sam and I go to San Francisco a lot of CLE and we are always looking for good "hooch" (I know now that doesn't mean food) while we are there. Next time we come, I'm contacting you first to get the scoop on restaurants and maybe we can meet up.

Love the line about SF being the Forks of CA. Good call.

Ashley said...

A respectable third alternative indeed.

If the binkie is totally gnarly and crumbling, it's my boys'.

I hope the gnarly binkie did not come in contact with the rolls.

Lance said...

ok, you didn't STEAL anything. We paid for everything we got. As a matter of fact, I could make an argument that they stole from us based on the prices we paid vs. what we got ;)