Friday, August 14, 2009

Brown Baggin It

I like the idea of this weird stainless steel bento box for lunches. They sell them at the Kyo Po Korean market in my hood, but the food on the box makes me barfy, so I always pass. I just like how all of the little containers stack up for easy travel.

I have a problem with lunch in that I rarely eat it. I usually eat breakfast at home, starve all day, and then pig out at dinnertime. This is a pattern I'm not wild about, so I decided to mix things up. I went to the Container Store and got the following items:

A cute black lunch tote that's nice and insulated:

This cute baby thermos, perfect for hot soup, chili, pasta, or other warm sundries. I love that the lid holds a little spoon and fork.
A set of these 3 little stackable containers for fruits, veggies, and snackies:
And my favorite part--the little "one stop" lunchbox that holds a large treat on the top, and 2 divided compartments on the bottom for smaller delights.
And, to keep it all cool, a reusable ice mat that wraps around the food.

I'm trying to think of good ideas for quick lunches, and this is what I have so far:

Tuna/chicken/egg salad
Soups/chili/stew
Sushi
Pasta
Baked chicken with BBQ sauce
Rice crackers and cheese
Fruits--grapes, nectarines, plums, banana
Veggies--celery, carrots, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes
Apples and peanut butter
String cheese
Cottage cheese
Baked cheddar puffs
Corn chips and black bean dip
Hummus and rice crackers/veggies
Yogurt
Think Thin Bars
Chicken Quesadilla with sour cream and salsa
GF waffles with peanut butter and jelly or banana
Nachos with chicken, cheese and black beans
Tacos

What do you guys like for lunch? I would love to hear what you chow down on, and what you pack up for your shorties.

3 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

GF Luna bars
sweet potato pancakes
cheese and rice crackers
left over pasta
soup
apple slices
nuts

brooke said...

I've never packed my own lunch other than throwing a peanut butter sandwich, or if I'm being really sexy, a turkey and provolone sandwich, in a brown paper bag with a banana and a bag of oreos. I learned it from my mom. THat was my lunch everyday for about 12 years growing up.

Now Luke is starting school in a week and he wanted the insulated lunch bag that hooks on his backpack from Gymboree. So now I feel all obligated to put something in it that needs to be insulated! I like your list. I'm going to have to refer to it for ideas.

Somehow, I know that within a week it will just be holding a peanut butter sandwich, a banana and a bag of oreos...

hippittee said...

roasted veggies (tomatoes, onions, garlic, and whatever else you have on hand*, olive oil and a dash of red wine - roasted at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours) with rice or pasta, or plain.

easy stuff to make, but requires planning ahead.

good with chicken too!