Thursday, October 2, 2008

Puppy Love


As you all know, I was a little Twilight resistant, though I think it's the way the series was initially explained. I'm not really the 'romance' type, and I wasn't really sold on the vampire bit either. I just finished book 2, and I'm truly excited about book 3. As I was reading it, I realized why I love the series...it perfectly captures first love. Not true love, not lasting love, not even necessarily good love...but first love in all of its desperate, awkward, new, innocent, naive, exciting and all-consuming glory.

As I read book one, I couldn't help but think back to my first real love, and how it felt *exactly* like the book described it. In book 2, it accurately portrayed the horrible, empty feeling of losing that love, and the dark and empty void left behind in the wake of a breakup...and the surge of feeling whole again when you got back together (or at least had the hint of a reconciliation) right before breaking up again. Enter the void...again. But then you move on, you grow up, you learn life lessons, you fall in love again...you know the drill. The person you wind up with in the end is usually very different than the person you imagined when you were a silly teenager. This is usually a good thing.

First love and loss is universal. We've all been there, as the dumper and dumpee. We've all felt the highs, and we've all felt the lows. Ms. Meyer has an easy audience to win over--it's every single woman reading the series. It's been kind of fun to walk down memory lane reading the books--what a funny little stroll indeed.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am the only person I know who is not into Twilight. But I read the first one and I see your point. That's funny that you saw me at the mall. I am always a little wierded out when someone says that bc I don't know what I was doing (beating my kids?) when you saw us. But yes I will drive any distance to go to a good mall and distract the kids. So if you see a wreck of a woman in need of some fresh highlights at Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek or Peninsula Ave in Burlingame, say hi!