Saturday, October 4, 2008

Turning Japanese

I went to a sushi-making party last night. My friend Ashley got serious about her sushi-making last year, and her dad surprised her with a real sushi making set, including the quasi-Japanese headband you see her sporting. It's good to know her dad has a sense of humor.

This knife was shaaaarp. I had to make sure I didn'tcut off the tip of my finger. Again.


As always, Ashley set an icredible table!


On the menu: Edamame, miso soup, hand rolls, assorted sushi rolls and pistachio ice-cream topped with Marie's famous homemade chocolate sauce. De-lish. Here's our impressive platter of handmade sushi:


After dinner, we played a few rounds of super scrabble, and I won a round with the following configuration:


Luckily, we live in the Bay Area, and there are so many Japanese grocery stores that carry sushi-grade fish, seaweed and rice. We also have a ton of Japanese discount stores--they always have cheapie sushi dishes and sushi sets. I may invest $10 and get a set for future sushi parties @ our house--anyone game?

1 comment:

Angela said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog and checking out my little people. I am finally making the rounds today as well! First, we are going to have to discuss this sushi- since both the hubby and I lived in Japan, you would think that I could roll one better- but that is the one little dish that leaves me wondering. Looks like a blast!