Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Not So Shear Genius


Bravo's Shear Genius is kinda like Top Chef. They take the top hairstylists from across the nation and make them compete. They have all kinds of exciting hair challenges--"take this girl from black to blond in 60 minutes!" and "do a hairdo based on a cartoon character!" You get the idea.

I was up in SF yesterday with the girlies, and this kinda artsy-but-not-creepy guy starts looking like he wants to talk to us. I went to school in SF, so I am magically able to ignore these people without looking rude.

He asks if I can talk to him for a minute, and I don't argue with him, but I'm also not overly nice. He says he is from a local salon, and they are looking for hair models. I would get a high-end, pricey haircut for free if I came along for the ride.

My heart started beating...I've seen this on Shear Genius before--it's the "find local people on the street and give them amazing haircuts" episode. I looked left, I peered right...then I asked him if I was on Shear Genius. He looked at me like I was the opposite of any kind of genius. No 15 minutes of hair fame for me, but I was feeling rather proud that he had asked me...I must have amazing hair!

Dexter working his free hair magic:


After Dexter's magic:

An hour and a free cut later, I realized he probably asked me because my hair look like crap-ola. Ego blow. But what a funny story--I mean, how often do any of you get stopped on the street to be hair models?? Exactly.

Other less notable happenings from the day:

I was so wrapped up in the Twilight books over the weekend that I unwittingly snuggled up with (and possibly made out with, from the looks of it) a brick of chocolate on my couch. I found the choco on my couch the next day--didn't quite realize it was also ALL over my jeans until I was up in SF. I'm not quite sure what to say to this, but I think Lance would say something along the lines of "you're incorrigible."


Had breakfast at a DELISH cafe with the girlies, but I'm not allowed to say where because they don't want you getting a table there instead of them. This was an actual request.


Hit LV, where I tried on some dashing glasses:


Had lunch with Jo-Jo:
Many fun and tasty adventures, but the hair modeling was certainly tops. At five-five and a little chubby these days...this was my first and last chance to swing my hair around like I own the world. I think that should happen at least once in my every girl's life.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

That is so wonderful and funny about your haircut! It looks great! I need someone to do that to me but with a fresh batch of highlights.

I love that you found yourself and your couch covered in chocolate. That is not an uncommon experience for me.

Angela said...

Love the look- I did a bundle of hair shows with Mike Peterson (ask Lance about him) and did a hair magazine (french) on my mission in Japan. The japanese were desperate I think. However, I think you were the winner. I always looked hideous. PS I heard Bonnie and Dave were coming out here for Thanksgiving with my mom and dad- Is this a rumor? We are thinking about going to the Macy's Parade- You both should come too! Think about it!

The Mostess said...

Ooh...I hadn't heard that, but that sounds fun. LJ and I were just saying that we would like to see the Macy's Day Parade live one year...maybe we will head back there!

stacycaye said...

seriously loved this entry! Made me laugh.

Toria said...

that's so fun. I'm always a fan of freebies, and your hair looks beautiful! Glad you enjoyed making out with chocolate and your twilight series too. Did you finish? the books I mean, not the chocolate.

The Mostess said...

I would have made out with the books if it were possible and socially acceptable. I *loved* the first 3...the last one was so-so. I'm all about Team Edward. :)