Monday, January 2, 2012

HO HO HO

Santa came to visit. It's almost 2 am, and this needs to be quick and dirty. Expect my next post to be jam packed with wittiness and hilarity. It may or may not involve a dance-off, charades, and a slow-mo photo of me kicking a battery out of Lance's hands. This post is only for the sake of recording Christmas for Beezie and future posterity. Ho Freaking Ho. Let's move, people!


Christmas Eve, we hosted a Taste of Italy buffet at our place. Fun and tasty. I likes doing this. I think I'll make it a tradition. I especially liked it when strangers at the store noted my Italian items, and asked me if my party was because I'm Italian. To quote Chandler Bing, could I be any more Scandinavian looking?? I just like carbs. Sue me.

I did a baked ziti and people brought spaghetti, chicken picata, some GF Olive Garden knockoff that was outstanding, and other assorted Italian favorites.

All of the children acted like they had never seen bread before. It's pretty much the only thing any of them ate.


The next morning we all slept in. We have routinely been sleeping until an unmentionable hour (but only because it will anger all of you) every morning as a family. It's been heavenly. Little Lady rolled out of her crib with some serious bedhead.

Santa had left a little stroller with a brand new baby in it for Beezie. She was delighted beyond measure--it was the runaway hit of the day.

First up, we did stockings. This is our family tradition--each person takes a turn taking an item out before we rotate to the next person. When we were little, we spent Christmas with a family, and they all dumped their stocking out at once, and opened all of their gifts like wild animals. We were horrified.





B was excited to have the dog gate removed so she could move in on Santa. I'm surprised he still has a candle and/or head attached. A delicate flower she is not.

Since we got a new heater and sprung for A/C, we went small for each other. I got Lancer some giftcards (Amazon and iTunes), a personalized photo calendar, and other assorted goodies. I got an electric can opener. This may seem like a lameski gift, but it's not. Let's not forget that I cook in big batches, and in doing so, I open about 20 cans at a time. Lancer had to "help" me with the cans for my white chicken chili at the cookie party, and TA-DA, an electric can opener showed up on my doorstep. By help I mean he complained the entire time, and begrudgingly cranked open the tin cans for me, while complaining of hand cramps.

Donnie was kind enough to spring for some vintage NKOTB comic books from the 80's. I'm going to write in and ask for the Magic Summer jacket advertised in the back just to see if it shows up. Wish me luck!

Beezie caught on quickly, just like she did on her birthday. Wrapped gifts equals booty for her. She wasted no time getting to the goods. Naturally, she had to try and crawl in the box.



Playing with her new play food. She follows us around the house naming the food. Banana? Banana? Banana?


After presents, we feasted on holiday breakfast and my homemade cocoa. I love holiday breakfast, because it has everything you need. It's like an omelet on top of hash browns. Mmm. I've been eating it for breakfast all week long.


Beezie approved


While those two snoozed the day away, I was busy in the kitchen. I did a glazed ham, cheesy potatoes, cranberry Jell-o dish, corn pudding, and a GF chocolate cake.

We went over to The Andersen's for a low-key dinner. On the way in my boot caught on their sidewalk, and I went down HARD. Like split my crockpot clean in half hard. Thankfully, a replacement insert is only $15. Now that I have my electric can opener, I'm unstoppable. I can't let a broken crockpot get me down.


The Spread




The complete meal


I made Brooke's "secret" cheesy potatoes. Halfway through dinner, I realized they're just freaking funeral potatoes. Nice try, Brooke! Still delicious, of course, but let's call a spade a spade.

After dinner, the kids played until a record 11 pm. Beezie loved Kai's new picnic table. Naturally she sat on top, and tried to jump off.

The mini-tramp is always a big hit



Thanks to our fabulous family and friends! We had such a fun and relaxing Christmas Eve and Christmas Day--minus the bruised knees, scraped hand, and broken crockpot. Till next year, everyone! Merry Christmas to all...and to all a goodnight!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Are we not mentioning that LANCE DRESSED AS AN ELF during present opening?!? Was he being cute for Beezie or is that an every year thing?

Your Christmas looks fantastic, and I'm so glad you opened one thing at a time, taking time to savor and appreciate!

I grew up with an electric can opener. Those were good times.

brooke said...

I will defend those cheesy potatoes! Of course they are just funeral potatoes..a poor man's funeral potato! That is the point! All the glory with none of the work!

I don't want to know what time you slept until ever day..it will just make me jealous and mad!

Beezie is a lucky little girl...she got spoiled.

I had to get tne replacement inside to the crockpot as well and it only came in blue!! Now I have a freakn blue interior...should have just bought a new crockpot!

Em said...

I am laughing at Ashley's mention of Lance. It was definitely a stand-out but I kinda forgot about it as the post went on.

Beezie and Mita should totally totally totally be friends. They are like twins in their matching pj's, play hard, eat with gusto ways.

Amen to the taking time with the stockings. No free for alls in our family either.

Greg said...

what's wrong with a blue crock pot?

Kaari, I have no idea where you find the time or energy to get all of this stuff done. I would hate for you to ever see what I got "accomplished" on a day like today, for example!

Still, you give the rest of us something to shoot for, my friend!

Elizabeth said...

Your Christmas looks fab! The food looks amazing (and I really hope the crockpot broke after you ate what was in it).

I also want the recipe for the potatoes and the breakfast dish. Yum.

The Gilberts said...

How can I not comment on lance's awesome Elf costume, or are they his regular pjs? That is the bomb. Yes, I too ate Christmas breakfast all week long. It was delicious, and also because no one would join me and I put 8 ingredients into that thing and it lasted a week. Merry Christmas Jacobs!

The Mostess said...

Here is the link for Holiday Breakfast:

http://themostess.blogspot.com/2008/04/holiday-breakfast.html

Enjoy! :)