Friday, January 13, 2012

Johnny Citizen


It happened again this morning. As I approached the two way stop on our street (we have the right away) I slowed down to turn. The driver mistakenly took this slow down to mean I had a stop sign, and proceeded into the intersection right as I entered without even looking. I almost got hit--again--and this time I was furious. It made me realize that I send a text to Lance at east once or twice a week saying that I almost got hit.

So I got on the horn, and I called the city. I was transferred twice, and finally got to the right department. The lady was exceptionally nice and helpful. She stated that they are backlogged due to budget cuts, but that a survey crew could come out in 3-6 months, assess the situation, put if before the City Council, and hopefully they would rule to install the signs based on the data.

It wasn't a great answer, but at least it would take care of the problem. I would just have my hand on the horn as I entered the intersection for the next few months.

And then she called back. I don't know if I sounded like a crazed mom ( I explained that I had Beezie in the car this morning), or if there were prior complaints...but the Traffic Gods smiled down upon me, and they are going to be out in the next 2-3 weeks to install "Cross Traffic Does Not Stop" signs on the stop signs.

7 years of complaining taken care of with one call. Why didn't I call sooner? I feel like I should win some sort of citizenship award. A "Great Neighbor/Fabulous Front Porch Display" award at the very least.

12 comments:

Molly said...

Oh my goodness. We live at a 3-way intersection with no stop signs. There are so many idiots who assume that means they have the right of way even though they are turning onto another road. So dumb. We hear and see lots of almost accidents. Isn't it just common knowledge to slow down and look before you turn onto a road even if you don't have a stop sign? Why there is no stop sign there is beyond me.

The Mostess said...

Call the city!

Carly said...

Not sure what this has to do with your front porch display, but way to go nonetheless.

Greg said...

Kaari, let me know if you want us to work up some sort of badge for you to put on your website! ;)

Em said...

I love how Greg is always offering to make you new badges. I think he feels bad for upsetting you by making that one for Ashley. :)

Good work on the warning signs. I wish calling the city here would work as effectively. We have tons of 4-way stops (with signs) and the main problem is that more than half the drivers don't know the rules for them. People either sit there like dumbA's or they don't stop at all. So you either sit and wait for 5 minutes, waving for people to go ahead, or you "totally pause" and then gun it and hope to heaven things work out okay.

Lance said...

Nice work baby. They knew you meant business this time!

brooke said...

I like Lance's comment. I have found that most people never make the call so just by picking up the phone, you have a good chance of something happening. Way to go concerned/pissed off citizen!

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg said...

http://www.jonesawards.com/ProductImages/large/
MRGCT.jpg

Greg said...

Kaari--

That link is for you! :)

Ashley said...

Ha ha Greg! The more badges Kaari gives herself, the less impact the Display-off one has. Badge away, I say!

Elizabeth said...

I am not embarrassed to say that I have the Councils phone number in my mobile contacts! In the last month three council workers have returned my calls about a) a dangerous overhanging tree on our road, b) the condition of our woeful dirt road and c) some top dog in finance rang me and went through the budget for 12/13 explaining why there was no $$ for the sealing our our road.

I feel like I pay lots of rates and taxes and so government needs to be accountable (and Im also pretty sure they all know my number and call me a nutter ;-)