Monday, January 23, 2012

Campo di Bocce

Our lovely friends got a group together to play a rousing game of bocce ball at Campo di Bocce. It's a highbrow sport.

Bowling de Italiano


I like how they don't allow sleeveless shirts or tank tops for dudes. What's that all about? Not that I'm dying to see random dude's pits.


Before dinner, we hit up our favorite Thai restaurant, Shana. It's our new favorite place to eat. It's fast, relatively cheap, and delicious.


Lancer got the spicy pumpkin curry with chicken, and I got this lovely dish--Tamarind prawns atop a fresh pineapple. It's the *best* Thai food around, hands down. It's so pretty, it's hard to eat.


After dinner, we packed up, and headed down to Los Gatos. It was freezing for the Bay Area. We were all decked out in our "severe winter weather" jackets, and we still huddled under the heat lamps. We're wussy.

Team Aufdermauer


Team Jacobs


Team Tinger

Team Andersen


We split up into two team--boys versus girls. This was a solid choice--until I remembered that Lancer has played this obscure game around 20 times before. I should have pushed for married couples.

Like the NYE charades, the action shots/serious bowling faces were awesome.


Let's be honest. The majority of the action looked more like this. In case you can't tell, they're measuring how close the balls are.

A few fights broke out when the girls realized Lancer was the pinch hitter. When the boys were down and out on their luck, they would have Lancer roll, and this greatly improved their score.

The girls rallied, and sent me in to do some dirty work. And dirty work I did.

We realized there was no way to win without some major destruction on the court. Lance had rolled the ball right next to the metal pallino, and there was no way we were going to get closer. One of us had the genius idea to smash Lance's ball out of the way. I unloaded the ball like I was bowling, got lucky on my aim, and sent both Lance's ball and the pallino flying, which ruined their game. It ruled.

Lancer was not impressed with my legal, but questionable, antics.


But these ladies were!

I like 'sports' that require a modicum of skill, but mostly rely on luck. I'm officially a bocce ball fan. Thanks all for a fun evening!

9 comments:

Molly said...

It was fun! Although I think it's worth noting that you sent your ball barreling down the court and cleanly knocked the pallino out from right between TWO of their balls. It was impressive.

Ashley said...

Sounds fun, though I didn't realize it was outside in the arctic tundra. Brrr! I want to try that Thai place. You are the source of all my good eats.

The Mostess said...

Ooh, that's right! What Molly said.

Greg said...

Kaari, you seem like a very competitive person.

I think that statement may qualify for understatement of the year...

The Mostess said...

I truly don't think of myself as a competitive person, but I do agree that the evidence suggests otherwise. I'm starting to wonder!

Elizabeth said...

I am so jealous of the prawns in the pineapple number!

Greg said...

I meant my comment only in a good way. I think it's great that you get so enthusiastic about the activities that you get involved with. :)

I also agree with Ashley too that your outdoor bocce bowling activity looked really, really cold!

The Mostess said...

Elizabeth--those prawns were to die for. I order it with a side of coconut rice and cucumber salad. Delish!

Greg--no, I know how you meant it. It's just funny because I think of myself as a fun loving, easygoing person. But after reviewing my blog with open eyes, I see that I actually have a streak of competitiveness. It's surprising!

teuscher travels said...

oooh thai!! is it close to the level of fuel? and i am seriously coveting your hair right now, so blonde and shiny!