Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sugar Rush

Tonight I hosted my 6th annual cookie exchange. It's easily my favorite party of the year because the competition is HEAVY--the people want to win, and they want to win bad. I'm glad I've always had a panel of judges because it keeps people from bringing crap for cookies. When there's an adorable gift at stake, people bake well.

We had a packed house, and an elaborate treat table. There were about 25 entries this year!

Here is the judge's table, ready for sampling. I pity the fool who volunteers for this job. It sounds fun, but 25 different cookies in one night is not for the weak of heart...or stomach. I just ate a handful of Tums, and I wasn't even a judge.

While the boys judged the entries, the ladies dined in the living room. It was a packed house!

This year we had homemade sloppy joes--recipe here--chips and dip, and a green salad. It took 3 hours to make the sloppy joe. I quadrupled the recipe so we would have leftovers during Christmas. Nummy, nummy.

The entries looked so amazing! I think this year had the most variety--there were also no duplicates, which was a first!



Our amazing judges right before the reveal. We had Travis Cripps, Josh Bingham, Lancer, Steve Leeflang (he's been a judge all 6 years now!) and newcomer Dave Ashby. Everyone agreed with the winners, so this panel clearly got it right!

3rd place went to Sharla Webb for her tasty treat! She did a bark that was white chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallow, and roasted nuts.

2nd place went to Miranda Murdock, who was feeling under the weather, and took off early. Her treat was an Oreo truffle--Ashley Carter totally approves. Dave was happy to accept her prize for her.

And first place went to baker extroidannaire Candace Ashby! She placed 2nd last year, so her win this year makes her the new person to beat. She now has 2 gingerbread "trophies" for her Christmas tree. Her treat was a light and airy lacy cookie that was so beautiful, it looked like it came from a bakery. Nice work, girl!

Per her usual, Crackpot Hayley was all kinds of crazy, wagging her finger around and demanding a recount. I like to torture her about losing year after year. It's hilarious. She gets me back by blasting David Archuletta on her blog. We love each other. In all fairness to La Loca, she did come in 4th. Too bad there's no prize for that.

The swapping begins!


Check out that platter! Lancer is going to take it into work and casually mention that I "did a little baking" over the weekend. I can't wait to take all the credit for these goodies. Thanks for making me look good, ladies!




This is us missing our besties, Heather and Sarah. We missed sitting around with them, gossiping about who should or should not have won. Look at that weird angle on my arm--it's like it belongs to someone else. Not the most natural of poses.

Got a little time in for the family after the group left. It's certainly tougher to throw a party with a newborn, but I'm intent on keeping the fun going. It's work.

Beezie snuggled up with Crazy Auntie Hayley, and had to listen as Hayley listed her gripes and grievances.

Poor Beezie--she can't talk, so she was held captive. See how she's looking for an escape?

Thanks for another wonderful exchange everyone. Start planning your winning cookies for next year!

Hayley, I think 2011 will totally be your year!!!

4 comments:

teuscher travels said...

Is it ok if I cry a little? Cause I just might be. You both look fab (love the scarf hay) and the cookies look divine. Sharla will have to post the recipe bc for the life of me I cant picture them! Marshmallow on bark? Marshmallow pieces or fluff? I still would have been bitter and "not tried" this year bc my chocolates got rejected and that is WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING! so I guess it is good I kept my bitterness contained across the pond:) I am so glad you had a great time, another perfect Mostess party!

Unknown said...

Thanks for another fun party!

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh you are killing me with the crackpot Hayley stuff. I wish I could have heard her list of grievances, if only B could talk!

It was such a fun party--your dinner was great and I have eaten half my cookies. I don't know how you did it with a tiny baby but I bow to the mostess.

Hayley said...

i have a competitive streak...so sue me. actually, no real grieviences this year. i generally only fire up when i KNOW my cookie contribution is better than any of the winners. after trying all 3 of the wins, i conceded that they deserved to beat me. however, years past...don't get me started.

as usual, ms. mostess, such a lovely time. thanks for having parties and not shelling up and acting like birthing a baby is a big deal or a life changing event.
just kidding. i'm knocking myself here.

& btw, i showed avy this post b/c she wanted to know all about the cookie party, & she strongly suggests we get ourselves a gingerbread man like "kaaaarrreees".