Monday, January 10, 2011

Party Shed Overhaul

It all started innocently enough. My friend April had given me 4 garbage bags of clothes last Thursday to sort through for B. She had a ton of stuff in all different sizes, so I made a huge mess in the living room sorting it all by size.

I ran to Target, got a few bins, and then sorted and organized all of the clothes. I was so proud of my hard work and organizational skills. Yay me! But my luck was about to change.


I went out into the shed (where the clothing bins had to go) and saw this horrible mess


More mess

I totally qualified for an episode of Hoarders. Though, in my defense, I had gotten lazy this last year when I was fat and prego, and things had fallen into disarray. Add a new baby and a jam packed holiday schedule into the mix, and my craptastic shed is what you get. I was one ashamed party girl. Especially after I spent so much time working on the outside.

So I decided to pull **everything** out and start over from scratch. I quickly realized that one of my biggest problems was the extra roll of carpet against the wall. It prevented me from putting bins all the way against the shed wall, so I got a razor blade and went nuts.

I ripped all of the extra carpet out by myself at 10pm, in the freezing cold weather. I'm a dedicated party girl.

Then I brought out the ShopVac and cleaned up all of the carpet fibers and debris--looking much better already!


Slowly, but surely, I made progress. Hour after hour in the freezing cold. I logged about 20 hours on this project.

And--drumroll--the finished Party Shed!


My totally organized rack--it now houses my China, jars, glasses platters, plates, bowls, serving pieces, and glass beverage jars. Yes, I said jars. I have 2 of them. One is country, and one is classic. Don't judge me.

Here are all of my matching bins. They are all sorted, organized, and labeled. I have all of Blake's clothes sorted. So when she hits her next clothing milestone, I can just grab the bin of clothes and put the clothes right into her dresser after clearing out (and binning) the old clothes.


Okay, NOW I am proud of my party shed, and organizational skills. Stop by sometime and ask me where something is. I dare you.

7 comments:

Lance said...

First the paint job in one day, now this; you are amazing! No more looking for fancy yellow pants, the disco ball, half-lit animated Christmas doe or the zombie creeper!

Angela said...

I am impressed! I have to get going on my own storage unit in the attic and the basement. This could be a new part time gig for you! Organizational guru!

Stephanie said...

That is pretty darn amazing. Were you up all night? No hoarder could do that!

Ashley said...

Bins of little clothes are never-ending and so is the chore of rotating them out. Your party shed is now glorious. I am especially impressed with the d-i-y carpet cutting. The shed is now beautiful and spacious and I'm sure you'll find a party-lovin' hobo living in there one of these days. Betcha he prefers a country beverage jar.

candace said...

well done!! 10pm in the freezing cold is hard core! i bet it feels sooooo good to have it done (despite the fact that you may soon find a hobo in there...and not to disagree, but this IS the bay area, i wouldn't be surprised if he preferred the classic beverage jars :)

Hayley said...

lookin good. when i originally saw the pic of the shredded up carpet, i originally thought you were announcing the visit of rats. SO GLAD it's you & not the rats that made that mess. but awesome job cleaning it up & organizing.

Lindsay said...

Please come work your magic at my house. I am in the fat, pregnant and lazy stage of life and the disarray is spreading faster than I can handle. Ugh!

Sidenote: the "word verification" image below says "nest". Is that some hint that I should be nesting instead of wanting to sit on the couch and eat pounds and pounds of junk food?