Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's that Time if Year Again!!

What time you may ask. Time for this business--SPOOKY VILLAGE!! Here is what's on my list:

The Haunted Opera House:


The Witch's Brew Haus:

I'm so-so on the Mortuary:

This is the piece in the Wild Wild West Village. It's the Dry Gulch Jail:

Plain spooky home:


I took the brochure to dinner and tried to make Lance guess what I wanted. He declined. My sister Eriika was a much better sport. When she lived in Colorado, we would run to Michael's at the same time and pick over the display piece by piece.

There are all sorts of nuances with Spooky Village--there are "sub-villages" within the Larger Village. For instance--they have a Halloween carnival, pirate village, wild west village, and a cursed Egyptian village. These are in addition to the main village pieces. I only do one sub-village--the western one. The rest of my pieces are just plain ol' spooky buildings.

I'm a nut--these things are super pricey--up to $70 per piece. But I **never** pay full price. I wait until they aren't on sale, pick over the ads looking for a 40% coupon only good on full-price shwag, buy 10 papers at the Mercury News HQ in San Jose, hit 3 different stores for 3 days straight...and I have all of my pieces for almost half off.

So genius it's S C A R Y

2 comments:

brooke said...

Whoa. I hope you are merely purchasing scary village and not acutually putting up scary village in July. I am so depressed that there are school supplies already in stores.

Actually i think your plan for the coupons is genious. I never pay full price either. I haven't gotten into the spooky village or Christmas village yet because the minute I do, it will consume me. I will have to have everything....it's coming, just not yet.

Ashley said...

Brooke is commenting like 4 minutes before me. Weird.

I love that you have this village, and that is nuanced. I was totally laughing about you trying to make Lance guess and he wouldn't. That is SO me and Tyler! Next time, bring the brochure over and I'll guess! I'll save my Michael's coupons for you.

BTW, I believe it is okay to start putting up fall decor in August. I hold off a bit on the creepy Halloween stuff, but August = pumpkins and leaves.