Saturday, February 28, 2009

Save it For Later

I can't believe I totally forgot about this. This was monumental...unfortunately, it happened when I had that nasty Korean bug, and I forgot about it until I came across the pics tonight.

In September of 08, the girlies and I volunteered to help out at a private party. We checked in the guests, and registered their auction paddles. This was before the economy really tanked, as evidenced by the purchase of an 8k dog.

That dog truly was worth every penny, though. They named her Sarah Palin. I will not comment on that except to say if you asked if I wanted dog more than life, my answer would have been youbetcha!! Look how tiny she is! I love me some Dobbie, but this dog could have hung out in my tea cup all day to keep me company.


In any case, The English Beat played in the backyard, and It. Was. Awesome. Any 80's fan worth their salt knows how cool it was. Why, I even passed Dave Wakeling in the hall, and he asked how it was going. I'm sure I had a clever response, though the specifics elude me.

This is me with the talented and very nice Dave in the background to the right. Forgive my hair...it was September, and it was a hot mess.


On a slightly related note, I realize that I'm a music fiend/snob. If you have ever seen High Fidelity, I'm kinda like that guy. At the party, some forty-something guy skeptically asked if I even knew who the English Beat was. I gave a short band history covering The English Beat, General Public, and even touched on FYC. In short, it was a history lesson that would have made Wiki proud. But it all came from my little head instead.

Please excuse me, I have to go pogo to Tenderness.

3 comments:

brooke said...

First, who is Dave Wakeling? Second, that dog is dang cute and I don't even like dogs. Third, you're a musical genious. I'm totally lost with your references.

The Mostess said...

He's the lead singer of the band.

Do a Google search for "The English Beat." I'm sure you know their songs...Mirror in the Bathroom, Save it For Later, Tenderness...

I'm an annoying memory vault/highly opinionated music snob...don't feel bad! ;)

Angela said...

You were really meant to be born in the same year as Lance and I-