Monday, February 16, 2009

New York State of Mind

Lancer and I decided to take a bite out of the Big Apple together. He had to fly in for a meeting, I got to tag along. Boy, was I glad. Here's why:

I got upgraded to first-class with him. Have you ever flown first-class? Hot towels, warm nuts, and cold shrimp cocktail. It's heavenly. The seat turned into a fully reclining bed, which I enjoyed as I watched movies on my own personal TV. This of course, after having a gourmet meal topped off with an ice-cream sundae. The people in coach had to eat a boxed snack pack--ha-ha suckas. I didn't actually say this, of course, because I knew I had to fly coach home.

We hit Times Square late at night. The weather was actually quite cooperative while we were there. As long as you bundled up, it was fine.


Went to dinner with our Stanford-Era friends Lane and Britton. By the luck of the draw, another set of Stanford Ward peeps happened to be in town, so we all got together for dinner and dessert. I've known Britton for a loooong time-12 years. When we first met, he told me that "I didn't suck." How can you give up a friend like that? Obviously, you can't. He and his lovely wife picked out a yummy Brazilian restaurant to eat at, Casa. Lancer and I both had the stroganoff, and it was delicious. The flan, not so much. But a trip to Milk and Cookies made up for it. It was fun catching up with old friends.


The next morning, we dined at Norma's, the restaurant in the Le Parker Meridien. It was to die for--by far the best breakfast in NYC. We both got benedicts--Lancer got the benedict with the pancakes, asparagus, and Canadian bacon, and I got the traditional one.


Off to the Empire State Building. It was nice and sunny, so visibility was great. We got some great shots.


Lance became the Pigeon Whisperer on the observation deck.

Stopped off at the Shake Shack near the Flatiron building for "the best hamburger in NYC." I have to agree.
Got gussied up to go and see Wicked. I must say--I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was a little song-y for me, and that's saying something. There's also a 5 minute song where the greenie sings about her lack of self-confidence, and I kinda zoned out. I looked at Lance during "Defying Gravity" and he looked a little angry. I suppose it didn't help that I would belt out "Defyyyyying Gravity!!" and leap through the air on the way back to the hotel. He told me to stop, or I wouldn't be his Valentine.


After the play, we walked over to "Ray's Pizza." If you've ever been to NYC, you know about the ongoing joke about Ray's Pizza. If you ask a Native for the best pizza, they will say it's Ray's.

However--there are like 20 pizza places claiming to be the Ray's everyone is talking about, and all of the them say they are "world-famous" and "the original." We picked one, and Lancer got pizza, while I chowed down on a gyro. It hit the spot at midnight. I love 24/7 food on demand.

Continued to explore Manhattan the next day, and made our way down to Bleecker Street.

This is one of my favorite streets in NYC. We stooped into Isle for $8 Thai food--and it's Zagat rated!! Just one of the many things I love about that city. That and the fact that you may start out as a mellow CA visitor, patiently waiting for the lights and avoiding the crazy cabbies. By the 2nd or 3rd day, however, you find yourself yelling "ehhh!!" and banging on the hood of said cab when it tries to go on your light. Ah, aggression. It's refreshing on occasion.

Hit Battery Park, then went back to the hotel for a nice Valentine's Day dinner. We dined at the Hilton, which was delicious, though I'm nauseated by the fact that my dinner likely paid for a new tiara for Paris.

I really love NYC. One of the many things I don't love, however, is the honking. If you need a sign about it, it's bad. Also--what's up with the stinky whiffs that come flying down the street? I don't know where they come from, and I don't think I want to.

On our last morning there, we took the subway to B & H Photo, the photo mecca, and then walked back. We saw a White Castle along the way, and I talked Lance into eating some sliders, since he's never had any. He took 2 bites, and threw them in the trash. Oh well. I think everyone should try them at least once. If the Beastie Boys sing about it, you know it's worth at least a try. Look at fighting for your right to party. See where I'm going with this logic?


We sadly made our way back to JFK, where Lance got me upgraded...again! This first class lady had yet another relaxing flight, complete with all of the amenities mentioned on the outbound flight. I could get used to flying first. Sadly, I won't. That's me hanging in the 1st class lounge before boarding.

Goodbye NYC...we will be back soon! And next time, we won't be seeing any Broadway plays, unless I want a divorce. Which I don't.

11 comments:

Lance said...

I'm glad you could come with me and that I could get you upgraded; you are a true 1st class lady. Although, I'm a bit confused why the birds did not come flocking to you. Remember how you called out to your bird friends in Foster City?

The Mostess said...

I remember no such incident.

brooke said...

I love the big apple. We went two years ago in March and dang near froze our arses off. I'm with you--I think Wicked is a little overrated. Don't tell my husband--he loved it. The picture of Lancer with the pigeons completely freaked me out--I'm terrified of birds. Also, I recognize Lane--she grew up in the same ward as my husband. I know her little sister Ashley. Small world.

Hayley said...

bird man = grossy.
wicked = i beg to differ...i LOVED it.
all the tasty food = i'm a bit jealous.
first class = i'm EXTREMELY jealous.
overall = glad to see you guys had a great time!

Angela said...

Oh great on wicked- I just bought Wicked tickets in London! Love the pics and it looks like the vaca was a good one. I love NYC and don't think there is a better city out there for fun! There is always something to view and a horn to honk!
Way to go in first- Lance is the man!
-Angela

PS Note the blog change www.domesticlifestyle.com

Christine Short said...

You dawg! Look at you all cozy in first class. I seem to remember a certain plane ticket that said even the New Kids flew economy with boxed lunches. Who the heck puts NKOTB in coach?!! Oh, that's right. Germans. Maybe they have better treatment for the Hof. I had to laugh when you said they had warm nuts in first class because I'm not a nut person and since my husband had his snip-snip of his manhood the only nuts I hear about are his. So when you said they have warm nuts in first class I wondered exactly how much do they pay those flight attendants?

Ashley said...

That looks like so much fun! I would love to do the Big Apple someday. You look great in your coat, and yes the Pigeon whisperer is freaky. I want to hear about Foster City.

The Mostess said...

Donnie Wahlberg is a man of the people. That's why he flies coach.

So...when we started dating Lance lived in Foster City. One night after dinner we went to this waterfront area where there were a bunch of birds. I think I may have made a "ca-caw!!" sound to scare off the birds. Lance thought we were having a conversation. And that's that! ;)

Lance said...

"And that's that!" you say. Or is it???

The Mostess said...

It is. It is.

jane maynard said...

hey kaari...it's jane maynard...my daughter cate goes to julia's preschool. anyway, we had a playdate today with julia and sarah. sarah mentioned you knew who I was...and it just hit me! I knew the day we talked in the park you seemed so FAMILIAR. you're friends with jen mosinski, right? I witnessed you crazy girls' antics that night at mindy's house, right? :) so fun! glad we finally figured out the connection. SO...well, you figured it out first, but at least I did eventually. email me! :) jane@thisweekfordinner.com

and yes I used stalkeresque skills to track you down through sfbaystyle.