Sunday, February 22, 2009

Make It Big!!


A year ago, we were partying it up Wham style at Lancer's surprise 80's Prom. I was rockin' my Madonna dress, and Lancer was decked out in a pink shirt with a zebra striped cummerbund and tie. We looked hot...you know, for the 80's.


I still can't believe I pulled that sucker off. A full hour into the party, Lance asked when were going to the planned dinner. I had lied so well, and for so long, that he was still tangled up in my web of (well-intended) deceit. He thought we were really having a quiet, sit-down dinner to ring in his 40th. Not so much. I still think about that night, and how much fun we had with all of our crazy friends. It was truly magical.

I knew this year would obviously be mellow compared to last year, and I'm not totally happy about this fact. Just wait until my 35th. It's already planned--we're going to have a full-on 50's sock hop. Elvis will be in the building, and I may or may not dress up in a pink jacket, leather pants and sing "You're the one that I want!!" to Lance against his will on a faux shake-shack. You're all totally invited. 2011....Twist and Shout. Mark your calendars.

This year, we had our fun friends party on Friday, and then spent today together. We rolled out of bed late, went to Stacks, and then came home to play Donkey Kong and nap. Dobbie helped me make a cake...

...and then donned a party hat to join in the festivities!


I made reservations at Arcadia. Micael Mina didn't disappoint. We both started off with the Arcadia salad--Fuji apples, candied walnuts, and Point Reyes blue cheese. It was delicious.


Lance got to eat the fresh sourdough, and I got to eat the whipped butter topped with fleur de sel. Eating butter is a nasty habit I picked up in France because I can't eat wheat, and it helped me not feel angry. I really need to knock it off because it's gross yet very delicious.

For the main entree, Lance had the grilled swordfish with the citrus buerre blanc sauce, and I had the filet mignon with pinot noir bordelaise. On the side, Lance went for the truffled mac & cheese, and I got the creamed spinach with roasted shallots. We had no room for dessert, so we headed back.

Not wanting to be completely without some hijinks, I had pretended to forget the directions to the restaurant before we left for dinner, and ran back inside. In reality, I was hauling the cool Raleigh cruiser I got for Lance into the living room so he would be surprised when we got home.

I set it up in front of his other gifts, and his eyes almost popped out of his head when he got home and saw it. You know those cartoons where the eyes get all buggy and pop out? That's Lance when he's surprised. It's a face I love to see.


I got him some other assorted treaties--but his other favorite gift was this weird Chinese robot from the 80's. I got it off Ebay, and thought it would look great on his shelf. Lance thought it would be great to pop in some batteries and see what it did. Obviously, we don't read Chinese, so we had no idea what to expect. That's when the robot went from cool to super bad-a**. The stomach opens up to produce 2 tommy guns that light up and shoot while the robot is walking. Then, the upper part of the robot spins around like a freaky possessed bot. It's AWESOME.

I'm already planning 42 baby. I love you!! And you better love me back, or I'll sic that creepy Chinese bot on you while you're sleeping.

You can see all of the 80's Prom pics here.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

41? No Way! My sweet husband just turned 27. Yep, call me a Cougar....

Looks like an awesome birthday and an awesome party. I'll have to remember that 80's theme. That was awesome!

brooke said...

What do I say? If there was ever any question of whether you really are the hostess with the mostess--it has been answered. I can't believe your 80's Madonna dress and I can't believe the awesome gifts including the bike that you bought Lancer. Is the guy really 41? I refuse to believe it.

Lance said...

Thanks for another great and wonderful year and party! You are the best!!

stacycaye said...

Awww, such the good wifey you are:)

Toria said...

you really do throw the best parties! I need some lessons and I need you to give John some lessons (my birthday is this week and I'm trying not to expect too much, but really, why not!?!?)
Happy birthday to Lance. Here's hoping we can be around for another party another year!