Monday, March 31, 2008

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. These are their stories.

I pay my taxes every year
I am a registered and active voter
I always update my current address with the DMV

And yet...

I CANNOT GET CALLED TO JURY DUTY TO SAVE MY LIFE.


Until now!

The letter came in its little, official envelope. My heart started pounding as I tore it open, trying to be cautious about my excitement. You see, I *did* get called to jury duty one other time in my 31 years of life. Same little envelope, same excited feelings..and then my world dropped out under me. It was for my former county, and moving had made me an unsuitable candidate for doling out sentences to alleged criminals living in San Mateo County. Bleh. Onward and upward to the alleged criminals dwelling in my new county. May your alleged crime need the expertise of a white, married 31 year old woman juror.


I don't know why everyone dreads jury duty. It's like Law and Order, but you get paid $40 a day and an hour for lunch (or so I hear...from my lame-A friends who probably cheat Uncle Sam, never vote, and let the DMV find them...) I get to call tomorrow night to find out if I will be called in for Tuesday morning. Wish me luck.

Also, it would be supa-fly if this gent showed up for my big day as well:

(Soundbyte--double gavel-crack...dun-dun!!)

No comments: