Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm a Weak Woman

I bought the Bitty Twins. I couldn't help myself. In reality, I didn't want to help myself. I just wanted to buy these cuties in all their blond, argyle glory. So I did.

I do have a modicum of patience, as evidenced by the fact that I haven't given them to B yet. I'm waiting for her 2nd birthday, and this will be her big gift.

The official furniture is pricey, and I'm not in love with any of it. Once I got back, I started scouring Craigslist for 2 pieces of furniture--a crib/rocker, and a highchair.

I bought a vintage wood doll rocker in Pleasanton on the way to Super Franks for a cool $10. I was originally going to paint it white, but I kind of like the wood. I will reupholster the bottom and sew blankets and pillows to match B's crib bedding.

I'm getting this tomorrow for a mere $10 as well. Score!


But here's my dillema. I love the chair, but the pink has to go. Soooo-do I paint both of them white? Paint both of them a different color than white? Keep the rocker as is, strip the highchair, and then stain it to match the rocker? What do you think?

In related news, I finally cashed in all of my Amazon giftcards, and bought a sewing machine!


I've been wanting one for a year now. That was my deal--if I took a sewing class, learned the basics, and was still interested in sewing down the line, I would buy a machine. It's a great intermediate model from Brother, and I'm excited. I will never do anything too fancy--doll items, blankets, pillows, banners for parties, etc. Lance has grand plans for my machine--fixing a tear in his leather coat, seamlessly fixing a gigantic crotch hole in his Boss suit pants...you get the idea.

His dream


The reality

Please weigh in and let me know what you think I should do on the colors!

5 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

Paint them both white and then use my Silhouette to embellish them.

No one else will get it, but I'm dressing M and S up as the Bitty Twins for Halloween.

Bring Lancer's pants over here and I'll fix them or show you how.

teuscher travels said...

Staining exact shades of wood is super hard, you would almost need to stain/restain both at the same time and even then if they are different woods then they may take differently - I say take the shortcut and do both white. The furniture is super cute!

I still think those dolls are creepy.

Ashley said...

I love that you know exactly what that machine is for and you have no illusions of mending or sewing your own clothes--that's what Kevin's tailoring and chicos are for! I love the bitty twins and now I know why you went to super franks. Paint them both white. B is a lucky little girl!

brooke said...

The bitty twins are sooo cute.

I like the high chair pink but we have never agreed on such things. Paint them both white and we can compromise.

Good luck with the sewing! I have never even considered getting a machine because I know my limits!

Greg said...

Kaari, I'm scared to ask how much those dolls cost.

Also, I'm secretly jealous of your new sewing machine. Someday, I want to learn how to use one! =o)