Thursday, June 14, 2012

Central Park and Hoboken

I decided to brave the tangled public transportation system today. I was feeling good as I got started, but that feeling quickly vanished as I realized I somehow managed to get on an express subway line that whizzed past all of my designated stops and dumped me in the middle of Harlem. I stifled my panic, hopped off, got my bearings, and took the line back downtown to Central Park.

I was so happy to see that street sign


Rain be gone--it was gorgeous, sunny, and breezy!



Poor Blakely is missing her friends. I know this because she talks about them longingly all day. She tried to engage every kid she met in the park. No one took her bait. Poor kid.

She would NOT wear her shoes. It was killing me. I saw a couple of other kids playing with bare feet, but it just seemed like a bad idea, on account of all the dirty needles hiding in the grass. If she contracts hepatitis c, we'll know I'm to blame. It was either the shoeless day in the park, or when she licked the subway pole on the way home. ~~Shiver~~





We soaked up the sun before heading back to the hotel for her first real nap in 3 days. B has been a total trooper!

I have to say--the men in NYC are second to none! They were so helpful throughout the day. They offered to help carry my stroller down subway stairs (heaven help people in wheelchairs--I have no idea what they would do in this city) they held doors for me, and they gave up their seats for me on the subway time and time again. I'm so impressed! I also see a ton of them waiting for their ladies at stops with large bouquets of flowers. SF men--take notes!
Link
I grabbed lunch at a tasty little restaurant called Cosi. I would say it's the Panera of the east coast, but they also have Panera here. So I will just say that they have delicious salads, and a tasty grilled cheese for kidddios. Ashley and Brooke would love this place.

Once Lancer got back from Toronto, we walked around the waterfront in Jersey City. Look at that view!


This one is even better for obvious reasons


Along the way, we stopped and tried a pre-dinner milkshake from the Mister Softee truck. SO DELICIOUS. I had low expectations, but this was a tasty treat. B learned the word milkshake in a hurry.

We took the train over to check out Hoboken, which is a fun little college town in NJ. We settled on a restaurant that boasted Chinese, Thai, and Japanese food. Sign me up! I got the pad thai and sushi, and Lancer got the mango chicken. It was all delicious.


We are having so much fun with our urban adventures. We're going to hit the American Doll store tomorrow, which is more for me than Blakely. I had to resist the urge to make reservations for tea with her dolls. I need to continue resisting buying her a set of Bitty Twins, even though they're the cutest thing ever.

Pigtails and argyle may just be my personal kryptonite. Must. Not. Buy.

On an unrelated note, the women of NYC seem to have disdain for my Barn Wear, which could account for their kids snubbing B at the park. In better news, the women of New Jersey seem to eye it with jealousy and glee. I'm sure it has to do with the rhinestones. Staying classy in Jersey is what I'm all about!

9 comments:

Greg said...

Kaari, those pics from the waterfront were great. Do you ever feel guilty that Lancer has to work while you and B are having so much fun? ;-)

Kristine Gray said...

So glad you are having a great time. I guess subway poles have flavor.

You don't know how many times I've wanted to buy those blond Bitty Twins!

katy said...

Cosi also has s'mores on the menu, and you roast the marshmallows right at your table. That was always a big hit with my nieces and nephews!

So fun to have you guys on the east coast! Let me know if you're ever up in Boston... there's another Jacobs cousin up here too, and we'd love to get together! Maybe at a little burger place in Hingham? ;)

Tyler said...

Mmmm Cosi sounds delicious! And cozy, which you know is key in my restaurant criteria.

Funny, some of us took Mikelle out for thai last night--lots of pad thai was consumed. You were with us in spirit.

I am jealous of your trekking around a fun city! And I love the improved view with you in it!

So those NY ladies would not envy my Not Your Daughter's Jeans and Sweet Sweet Fantasy shirt?

Ashley said...

Me, obviously.

The Mostess said...

Greg: No

Ashley: same answer as above.

Elizabeth said...

So glad to hear the men of NYC are nice, boo to the snobby women :-)

brooke said...

I would love Cosi. Soup, Salad, Sandwich, dessert, big DC...love.

I am jealous of your adventures in the big city. I'm glad you are taking a ton of pictures so we can live vicariously through you.

Em said...

I LOVE Cosi! Their pizza is so yummy. As are their sandwiches.

And it's a shame you didn't explore Harlem. That place rocks!

Blakely is adorable in all these photos you've posted. I love the ones of her barefoot in the park...