Sunday, August 15, 2010

One Last Hurrah

My friends are abandoning me for greater and greener pastures. Their departure is bittersweet. I'm so excited for their exciting new adventures, but sad that said adventures are taking them to London and North Carolina...and away from me.

Our group started out years ago as a chance for us to get together for dinner once a month, but it turned into so much more. We logged what seems like a million hours over fondue pots, cheap eats, high-end restaurants, hot chocolate, and ice-cream shops.

If our fondue pot could talk....


We planned one last (sob!) trip up to SF to enjoy the good life before the girls take off to their respective destinations.


Lancer loaned us the Benzi, so we could cruise up in style. To quote Hayley: "We are a really good looking bunch of girls." True dat, girl. Proof below.

We dined at Betelnut, and then headed back to our luxurious room. I was waiting for the well-documented hotel drama that always accompanies us on our city excursions: skunkweed rooms and dead bodies at sub-par hotels. Though we didn't have any serious meltdowns in the maiden voyage, a quick look at our hairdos shows that we really did have problems, we just weren't aware of them.

To our surprise, we checked into our room and no one threw up, no one went into labor, no one had to make angry calls to the manager, and we quite enjoyed ourselves for the remainder of the evening.


After a night of good sleep, we hung out in our jammies, and then gifted Sarah with her very own fondue pot to take to North Carolina, where she can forge new friendships over cheese and chocolate. Although, let's be honest, the new friends will never be as awesome as we were.


On to breakfast @ Sears, a long-standing tradition of pancakes and bacon. This place always hits the spot in the morning. I highly recommend the fresh-squeezed oj.

After breakfast, we headed out for some shopping. Actually, Hayley shopped. Sarah won't shop because she doesn't want to haul anything else along in her moving truck, and I can't shop because I'm tired of only buying shoes and purses. I want my totally cute wardrobe back.

We rolled back home to our real lives in the late afternoon. Lance asked how it was, and I told him that it was fun, but sad. Our lives intersected at a time when we all really needed each other, and I will always be grateful for all of the fun and laughs we had over the years. I love you guys. No amount of distance between us will ever change that.

Plus, I plan on reconvening with all of you in London next spring, so how sad can I be? Heather, I hope you find some food in London to feed us, because I'm coming, and I'm always hungry.

Ta-ta until then, girls!

6 comments:

teuscher travels said...

I started reading your post concerned that my new shirt is not nearly as cute as I thought it was, and ended up teary eyed by the end. I will miss you girls so much, you summed it up well. And dont worry, I will find the food - cause you girls better be coming!

Hayley said...

1- i'm not usually prideful, but let's be honest, that's a good lookin group of ladies
2- need we direct the world's attention to my mushroom style...again?
3-sarah, do remember that new friends will NEVER be as awesome
4-great post!

The Mostess said...

I said hairdo's. Not Hayley's fungal-inspired do.

Did you see my hair?? Hot mess.

Ashley said...

I know I'm a little hormonal right now but this is so sad. I hate goodbyes.

brooke said...

Girlfriends are the best and you will stay in touch. I still hate shopping. It's not fun buying clothes when you are twenty pounds overweight.

Alie said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm so glad that everyone got to celebrate!!!