Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Parisian Affaire...and a Kidnapping

I won't lie. I've had my baby shower planned down to the last detail for the last 6 years. Since I can't throw my own baby shower (lameski) I hoped and prayed that good friends would come along, indulge me in my Parisian themed vision, and make all my dream come true--Laverne and Shirley style.




Luckily, I have those very friends. I love-love-loved my entire shower. Take a looksi!

Le Invitations--tres chic, no?

It was an outdoor shower with a Parisian theme. We served savory crepes and sides, and sparkling lemonades in gorgeous crystal goblets.



My lovely hostesses made a special tray of gluten free crepes for the celiac crowd.

On the menu:

Ham and gruyere crepes

Sarah's Salad--Recipe at bottom of post

Fresh fruit kabobs and berries

Gourmet coffee cakes


After the first course, we played a little trivia game titled "New Parents on the Block." I was secretly hoping this would involve D-Dub jumping out of a gluten-free cake to surprise me, but that never happened. Oh well, a girl can dream.


Everyone hard at work trying to guess the answers. Glad to know that non-blog readers now know I want to suck down fumes and eat chalk. Recent discovery--I am also into the smell of leather, coffee, and chlorine.


After the quiz, it was onto the next round of delicious food--the sweet crepes. We had a spread of crepes with lemon, sugar, chocolate, strawberries, and nutella. It was just like I had dreamed it would be.




The lovely guests enjoying the fine weather and even finer food




Jake The Dog gets a special mention because he managed to steal a crepe from the table. Logan would be proud.

Onto the stack of presents! The ladies were oh-so-generous in their gifts. I am a lucky girl! I got most everything off my registry--Mini is geared up and ready to go.


Opening the loot

My friend Candace sewed this wrapping paper out of the teaching materials from school. Funny stuff.


You knew there had to be something Twilight related in that stack, right? Lance can't shake a fist at this one--I didn't buy it. Blame Alyssa!

I received 2 amazing and fabulous quilts that match Mini's room perfectly. I love them both. My friends are not only generous, they're also unbelievably talented!

After the gifts, I got to mingle with the guests, and enjoy the beautiful summer day.

My Aunt Lana




I love this picture of me bumping bellies with Kristine

Miss J and her fancy dress. She's Mini's Honorary Older Sister. It's a role she takes quite seriously. She plans on helping with feedings, diapers, and clothing. She is also planning on teaching her manners. She tried 'teaching' me that girls like pink and purple, but it fell on deaf ears.

Here is the Dream Team that made it all happen!

The tireless crepe makers...

And the team of friends placed in charge of making my dreams come true!

Thanks to everyone for all of your hard work, and amazing shower. It was absolutely perfect!

Okay, on to the kidnapping. It's sort of our thing. We've done it for all of the girls over the years, sometimes in the morning at the crack of dawn, sometimes at night. I should have been prepared, but I kind of forgot all about it until I heard a knock at my door on a random Friday night. I heard my friend Heather's voice, but I thought she was there to give me her canola oil before she moved to London. She cleaned out her pantry, and was trying to unload all of her stuff. I thought about not answering the door because I already had canola oil...but I'm glad I did.

It was my turn to be kidnapped! Sarah had family in town, so it was just the three of us ladies hitting the town.

Surprise--not what I looked like when they banged on my door. I got gussied up.


This is our homage to Sarah, who always manages to have her eyes closed in about 75% of photos. I would have hated to be her wedding photographer.

We went to our Vietnamese standby, Zao Noodle in Palo Alto. After dinner, we stayed out waaaay too late eating cheesecake down the street.


Thanks for the fun, ladies! I'm truly going to miss kidnapping your future offspring now that you're both gone. It's still sinking in how much I'm going to miss you. Maybe we will show up in North Carolina or London to kidnap you. How's that for a serious surprise?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

It was such a lovely shower! That's incredible that you got most of the stuff off your registry. Props to your friends for not going rogue. And yes I still have that item for you. Those pictures of you at the shower are gorgeous and belong in the baby book. You know, the one you are scrapbooking that has your letters to Mini?

Lance said...

You are a lil hottie potate! Even if you are a little gimpy, your are still fine!

Life's a Dance said...

loved the baby shower - so beautiful! Mini is a lucky girl to already have so many that love her.