Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bon Jovi, Bon-Bon and an American Picker

I really hate doing these posts where I squeeze 5 events into one post. But such is life--here goes.

First up--Bon Jovi! I wish I could do the many hairdos of my love for Bon Jovi. It would start with some permed hair, move on to some big hair, then some wannabe alternative hair, and finally, some blond hair in desperate need of highlights. Like I said--I've been busy.

Yep--that's my NKOTB friend, Carolyn--the one I met on Craigslist. Who says that you can't find quality people on CL?


Slippery When Wet was one of the first tapes I bought, and I wore it out. Jon Bon was in fine form, and looking good. That man doesn't age. He is also one singer that sounds better live than recorded--this is the bookmark for talented singers in my book.

We found out my friend Sharla and her friend were also going, so we met up ahead of time for dinner @ Amici's. I love that I can grab a gluten-free pie, and then go and see a show.

As per my usual luck, I was behind a group of loud, drunk skanks. Brooke and I have that in common. What's the deal? They kept yelling that they were collectively 200 years old. Then one fell over on the floor.

This is us Livin' on a Prayer. It was taken by the drunkies, which explains the great quality.

They played a lot of newer stuff, but made sure they did they hits that made them so popular they still sell out arenas. They did a fake departure, and the crowd begged for more. I just sat down and let the crowd scream on my behalf, because I only scream for 5 boys from Boston, not 4 boys from Jersey.

Their acoustic set was incredible. I could have done without Richie Sambora--he looked like he's had some hard livin.

Next up--Dave and Bon-Bon came down to visit. It was fun and relaxing. We took them to Stacks, where we got eggs benedict...

...and Lancer got the bacon and egg tacos. Then my camera died, and I didn't get any more pictures. But we got to ride through the streets of SF on a trolley and dine on gourmet cupcakes.

They also mowed our lawn, made us food, did our laundry, lined our shelves, and convinced Lance to replace the gigantic and heavy sliding door into my room. His dad took it off the hinges, hoping to fix it, and realized we should just throw in the towel. I'm excited for the new door! Clearly, I'm old.

And, lastly, I have a favorite new show: American Pickers.


It's on the History Channel, and I realized that this guy is my male counterpart. He picks through barns, shops, and people's attics looking for cool decorating pieces. I love doing this, and always make sure I bring back treasures from Iowa and Wisconsin. His shop is based in Iowa, and I sent him a Tweet telling him I loved the show, and that it was fun to see my gorgeous homestate. He wrote back"@TheMostess thank you Iowa is beautiful I'm glad we can show it off to the world." I knew all Iowans were nice people!

Just this morning, he asked if people knew where he could buy vintage European posters--hello! I have 2. And here they are:

I'm happy to report that their value has gone up in the last few years. When I bought the Favor print, it was in Hawaii on vacation with my friend Boat Girl. It was $800, and I was a broke-arse student. The guys let me buy it on layaway--I dutifully sent in my check every month for a year until the poster arrived in my mail one day. At last! Then I was too poor to have it framed properly, and Lance had it mounted and framed for my birthday one year. It hangs in our living room, and I love it just as much as I did 10 years ago. But now it's valued at $2100! Woo-hoo! A wise investment, and a great piece of art.

I'm definitely planning on visiting Mike Wolfe's shop next time I'm in Iowa. Here's to finding cool and weird junk in the most unexpected places. And to looking better than Richie Sambora.

3 comments:

brooke said...

I love Richie but the dude's seen some hard livin'. And I didn't realize what a bonehead he is until he messed things up with Heather Locklear and started dating Denise Richards (who is an even bigger bonehead than he is.)

I'm jealous of the concert and yes--I always end up behind THOSE people.

I'm impressed you had the good taste to buy the Favor poster in college. I'm not sure where I blew all my money but I have nothing to show for it now.

Ashley said...

Finally . . . I've been waiting for this post.

I love your Favor poster. Nice work--mostly I love that it's huge. Bold and gutsy. I love it even more knowing it was purchased on layaway.

I wish bands would give up the fake exit. What's the point? Maybe that was cool like 60 years ago when concerts were new, but just play your signiture number and let us go home already.

I am old too.

Christine Short said...

Got nothin' to say on Jon Bon or whatever the food thing is. However, American Pickers is another story. LOVE THAT SHOW!!!! Now I'm not like them in that I can sort through people's junk to find some decorating nugget. Most of that stuff would require sitting outside for a good period of time for sufficient de-stinking. I like that they see people who have lived as packrats for their whole lives and are finally getting rewarded for it. Now I'm not about to start collecting trinkets but I do think it's good for them. And the dudes are from IOWA!!!! GAH!!! Iowans have their own TV show, the Saints win the Super Bowl, UNI knocks of the #1 KU, snow in Louisiana on the 2nd day of spring!!!! Surely this is a sign of the end.