Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cha Cha Slide Chili Cookoff??

I'm still the Activities Director for my ward, mostly because everyone the hates calling, and I actually love it.

Next month, we're starting a new tradition: an annual chili cook-off. All families bring a pot of chili to share, and we provide the toppings (cheese, onions, crackers, sour cream) and sides (rolls, Mexican bean salad) and dessert (TBD).

After dinner, we're line dancing, and then the kids are busting open a cowboy boot pinata. I expect this will actually be a very fun activity--inasmuch as a ward activity can be, I suppose.

So--my questions to my readers in Blogland:

1. Can I teach the Cha-Cha slide, though not really a country dance? Cause I love to criss-cross and get funky, yo.

2. Anyone know of any country tunes that don't sing about booze, broads, bars, or bad things? I'm more of a, well, non-country gal.

3. Anything else that would make the night fun?

Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

katy said...

Do you have any teens/tweens in the ward? If so, the "Hoedown Throwdown" might be fun -- my nieces have had their share of laughs trying to teach me that one.

brooke said...

I think this activity sounds brilliant. My kids would love the pinata and the dancing. I was never part of the country line dancing scene but I know there is a line dance to achy breaky heart from like 15 years ago that everyone knows. Do you just want good, non-skanky country songs or ones you can line dance to?

The Mostess said...

I have the line dancing music down--I just need country tunes that won't scandalize the crowd.

Kristina said...

This activity sounds awesome! No suggestions for music though... I am not a country fan. Hope they never release you :) You do such good work.

Heather said...

If you want non-offensive country music, pull out the oldies! Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson...etc. If you have old people in your ward, they will LOVE it.

Kristine Gray said...

Walk on the wide side and go for the Cha Cha Slide!