Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Summer Wrap Up

August was a crazy month. Lance ended up in the ER twice, and missed several weeks of work. He was a champ, but times were tough. He's doing much better now, but I feel like the entire month was a blur. Here's a quick recap!

Made my adorable, handmade "best of the bay area" summer sign along with Kristine. It turned out awesome! We're going to get working on our fall signs. I think that Halloween deserves to have a separate sign.

I went to see Le Mis with Jo and Joe. It was phenomenal. It was my first time seeing it, and I was blown away.

We had dinner before the show at Bossa Nova , and a post show snackie at Absinthe. I don't know how we ate so much food, but we did. We ordered family style, and consumed our weight in food. I highly recommend both places. I relished my DC, since Bossa Nova didn't have any on tap.


Beezie totally understands that a woman needs an ice cold DC to get through the day. Ruh roh.


I went to the circus with B


I got phenomenal seats because I only needed once since B is a lap sitter. This led me to be wedged in between two large, unrelated families. Don't mind me, people. I'll just sit right in the middle. But it was worth it. B was over the moon--motorcycles, samurai, acrobats, lions, tigers, elephants, fire breathing dragons--she's still talking about it. Her new favorite book is Good Night Little Dragons. She's delighted by the Dragon Moms and Dads using their breath to light the lantern.

We got hooked on Breaking Bad. As in watched all 5 seasons in 3 weeks hooked. It's by far the most creative and interesting show I've seen on TV in years. I even like it better than Mad Men, and that's saying something.

We grilled, and feasted like kings all summer long on our patio. Sometimes we went all out, other times we just did burgers and brats.

I made spicy shrimp tacos. SO very tasty. This is an impressive and delicious dish. Recipe HERE. Do yourself a favor and don't drown your tacos with the white sauce. A little dab will do.


We spent many a day and night at the beach, lounging around, soaking up the sun.

The best investment we made this summer was in this Sportbrella XL sun shade. Buy. This. Now. It would be great for the beach, camping, sporting events, the park. It's amazing, doesn't blow away like crappy umbrellas, and has a high SPF.

We hit up the various local amusement parks at least once a week. B is becoming increasingly brave, and loved the wilder rides.



We camped with friends at Camp Lehi. Unfortunately, Lancer was afflicted, so he wasn't able to camp. I'm not sure why it turned B into a dirty orphan in all of the photos--she looks like she would do anything for a bowl of groul.



I bought a new tent, knowing that we have a history of trouble with tents. I bought the 6 person Coleman Instant Tent. This thing is amazing. It literally sets up by itself in under a minute. If you're a faux camper like we are, you should buy this. It's like cheating. And you can't forget the poles, because they're magically built in. Ta-da!

The night was young, and I was excited for our friends to chat around the campfire. I knew things were heading south when this Wet Blanket kept trying to put the fire out at 8pm. Every additional log that went on the fire met with protest, and she was afraid the party was going to go all night. Uh, no worries there. Once the kids went to bed, the parent quickly followed suit. This meant I laid in my tent, by myself, wide awake until 1 am. Thanks for nuthin, friends!

Thanks for another wonderful, magical, delicious, and entertaining summer. Till next summer. Now bring on the hay bales and scarecrows!


5 comments:

Ashley said...

You knew what I was when you picked me up.

Greg said...

So funny how you had to go to bed early while you were camping and then you just laid in your sleeping bag wide awake until 1 a.m. You could have been describing my Scout Camp experience!

I hope Lancer is feeling better. He is a really cool guy!

Kristine Gray said...

If we actually went on campouts, I'd stay up and yack with you.

Glad you jumped on the Breaking Bad bandwagon!

You and your seafood! yuck

erin said...

Haha! The first thing I asked Dave when he got home the next morning was, "how late did the adults stay up talking?" I was shocked to hear the adults went to bed with the kids! :) You know if I went, I would have stayed up to hang out, too!! Maybe next time! I want to see this tent of yours up close!

brooke said...

I had to click over to see who the wet blanket was and died when I saw Farts McGee. I have never known her to voluntarily camp. This blew my mind. Your summer sign is adorable. I am jealous of your grilling. I need good food and someone to make it for me. I want to hear more about Breaking Bad. What the heck is it?