Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Rebuttal--The Display-Off

Whoa, whoa. Let's back this pony up for a minute. I'm referring to this post.

Crates have always been my thing. As you may recall from this post, I bought this vintage Kraft crate to go along with my 2 vintage Pepsi crates. I had already planned on incorporating them into my fall display.

The truth is I thought I could do a better job making crates than Ashley could just buying them. I spurned her on. I'm not naturally competitive. I just like having a measured account of my success. Hence, the display-off!

Here is my official entry ticket. Please use these updated pictures when casting your vote.

As you walk up the path


To the right





To the Left




Yeah, I don't have an hooty bird available to the gauche masses. But I don't think that people should be rewarded for their unoriginality. I think they should be rewarded for cute overall displays. When you have a set-up this cute, THAT is the piece de resistance.

Here's Ashley's display. Also very cute.




It's safe to say none of Ashley's blog readers would ever a cookie judge at my famous party. They cannot see past their own biased views. "I don't like scarecrows, so Ashley wins. I have hay fever, so hay bales disqualify you. I hate the taste of gourds. You lose." Lameski! You have to be able to put your personal preferences aside, and use your artistic vision. I trust that my enlightened readers will be able to do just that.

As Ashley said, the visitors to our homes are the real winners in all of this. And me, of course.

13 comments:

Ashley said...

I am laughing out loud--it's true, the masses are raging against your scarecrows. I didn't expect that. I mean, I told you haybales were played, but scarecrows in a fall display are apparantly tauntamont to clowns in a nursery. So funny!!! SO so SO funny! I for one am amused!

In all seriousness, I have to give you props for your overall display--that first picture where you can see the door flanked by fall cuteness on both sides is very extravagant and encompassing in a way that I wish I could replicate. And honestly I expected a little more praise for my crates. I mean they are vintage from a real cranberry farm back east! And yet all I hear is praise for something that originally came from MICHAELS?!?

The funny thing is as I scrolled down this post I was nervous because your pics are really really cute, then I saw mine and I was like, "DANG, now THAT is a welcome to fall!" I got a great hooter, and we all know I ain't talkin about my rack.

Elizabeth said...

You get the points for puting in all that effort! This is just one reason Im glad we dont really celebrate "fall" like you guys do.

alexandra said...

It is not fair that you put up such a lovely display and write such a funny post about it and only get 2 comments! The people who don't like scarecrows are taking things too far. They are festive and fallish! I am jealous of both of your displays, but neither fall scene would be any match for the destructive powers of my kids. we will all be better off if i just leave it to a few pumpkins.

Molly said...

I'm cracking up. You guys are hilarious. I can't wait to see what you have for Halloween. And Christmas? Please keep these posts coming.

brooke said...

This whole competition is hilarious. I find it highly entertaining. I plan to do my own post about my hatred of owls and how they've become the new thing.

Both displays are good but I declare your crates better than Ashley's and isn't that what the competition is all about?

Ashley said...

I'm so sick of hearing about your crates.

The Mostess said...

Ditto on your dumb owl.

Greg said...

I am so out of my depth here, but what do owls have to do with fall?

There are so many great comments to this post, but I think my two favorites are the last two--(the one left by Ashley and then the Mostess's "ditto" retort).

The Mostess said...

Uh...nothing!

You know what does have to do with Fall? Hay bales and scarecrows, that's what!

I'm just SO excited that Ashley loves owls. It's her thing. I will be sure to let everyone know, and 'whoo' at her when she walks by. I'm going to ruin her life.

Greg said...

PS--I was noticing various fall displays as I cruised around the SLC area today. Both of yours put the Utah displays to shame. No wonder they call California the "Golden State".

Em said...

I was actually going to give you extra points for the scarecrows b/c I love those things. (Decorative ones, mind you.) But seeing as preferences in the individual displays can't be used, I really can't decide. You both rocked it. I love your crates, too.

Greg's right tho--these comments are golden, too.

LJ, DC and ML said...

Ummm, hillarious. Did that owl seriously come from Michael's??? I did not see one when I was looking for a black cat and got duped by a toddler into buying your scarecrows. Those scarecrows are now sort of scaring me. They're being rocked to sleep and tucked into bed. Its more than a little strange. I love my little tot.

Hayley said...

I'll post the same comment on each blog:

Kj, your overall display is larger & therefore a bit more fun. Your crates take the cake in this round. I've always admired your pepsi crate. & I love the multi-colored pumpkins, adds a lot of excitement.

Ac, your hooter is honestly the best piece in the whole competition though. I don't care if it came from mikeys, it is adorable. and I do like your foliage in the buckets a bit more. I suggest you cover up your porch light & front door with cobwebs for the spooktacular round. Hehehe.