Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Older and Wiser

I turned 35 today. I met Lancer when I was 25. Now that I'm older and wiser, I can see the error of my old ways. Like, when I wore this ugly puffy shirt from Wet Seal a decade ago. I was poor, what can I say. My hair looks awesome, though!


I'll spare you the old "where did the time go?" bit, and tell you what I have learned over the years.

I've learned that a predictable dinner at Outback Steakhouse is just fine for a birthday celebration.


Yes, Tamarine is a bajillion times better. But I have to watch what I eat, count points, blah, blah, blah...so this year, I had prime rib in the fake Australian outback. And it was delicious.

I've learned that a fancy chocolate sour cream cake is absolute perfection. But Yumi Yogurt is great in a pinch.

I've learned that my new iPad will make my life fun and easy. I can't wait for it to arrive!

But...I was unbelievably excited by my Topsy Turvy!! Tomatoes that grow upside down in a bag?? Sign me up! You know how I get excited by infomercial products!

Poor Beezie still feels under the weather. She's short on smiles. But even she knows the Topsy Turvy is good stuff.

I know that birthday wishes on Facebook are all fine and dandy. It was fun to get well wishes throughout the day!

But nothing beats a card and roses from Edward on my doorstep. He's so thoughtful.

I've learned that all of my old school Nintendo games are still good, classic fun. I can play them all with my eyes closed.

But my new dance games for the Wii are guaranteed to bring hours of fun and delight. Dance party at my place! You're all invited.


I've learned that Lancer is just as thoughtful and amazing as he was 10 years ago. I also learned that he still prefers to place gifts in bags, present the gift, run off with the bag, and come back with a new gift in the same bag.This year I gave him permission because, well, we're tired. And I did the same thing for his birthday.

And that concludes all of the valuable life lessons I have learned in the last 10 years. Feel free to comment on my wisdom. Doing so will ensure that you get to partake in my future tomato bounty. I'm guaranteed at least 50 bushels, or I get double my money back!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love Lance and his bags! Haha- classic. Hold on- your husband BUYS you surprises?

LJ, DC and ML said...

Happy happy birthday bestie dear! I hope all your dreams come true. PS. I was just looking at my neighbor's old topsy turvey from last year. They hoisted it up to the very top of their tree, the thing must be 15 feet up in the air? Maybe they thought they could shake the tree and the tomatoes would fall out?

Carly said...

I never made it on to Facebook to join your throngs of friends and fans wishing you happy birthday, but I did watch an episode of 16 and Pregnant in your honor. Glad that you had a wonderful day. I like my tomatoes extra ripe.

Happy Birthday friend!

Molly said...

Happy Birthday!! I've stopped telling people Happy Birthday on Facebook since 300 other people are doing it for me. Ha. Is that bad? PS--I've never heard of a chocolate sour cream cake. Is this something I need to look up and make ASAP?

Kelli said...

Happy B-day Kaari! I thought of you when Step by Step came on the radio this afternoon. :-)

I just caught up on the blog. I loved the post about Eriika! It brought back many memories, especially chasing Eriika and Kevin around. Those were fun times! :-)

Unknown said...

I can't believe you failed to mention Donnie's awesome gift to you!!

Ashley said...

You look better now than you did at 25--and you looked good at 25 (except the shirt!). I love that you are tired and that Lance reuses the same bag. Eriika would be appalled!

brooke said...

Love that you know how to do your birthday right. I am a huge believer in doing my own b-day. But it sounds like Lancer can be trusted.

Love the giftbag re-use.