Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's Blond, 7 Months Pregnant, and Misses Flights?


If you guessed me, you get a cookie. I pulled a serious Doughhead move today. I was flying out of SFO, connecting through Denver, and ending up in Minneapolis for my family baby shower on Sunday. That was the plan. However, I mixed up my departure time from Denver with my departure time from SFO. I realized my mistake 20 minutes before my flight left this morning--too late.

I re-booked for tomorrow, but I'm nursing as seriously bruised ego. The worst part is that I double-checked the flight time twice yesterday. Can I blame Mini for this? Everyone told me I would lose my brain. Turns out this pregnancy myth actually is true, unlike the ones about weird cravings, crying jags, and bad sleep. But, hey, I have a bum leg, so I'm not totally off the hook.

Now that I have an extra 24 hours, I'm going to catch up on my blogging. Lucky you!

I realized that suburbia is slowly sucking the life out of me--and I don't even mind. Here are some of the recent things causing me great delight:

Our local Whole foods had a free e-waste recycling day. We loaded up 4 large and heavy bags with old laptops, phones, wires, and keyboards. It felt so good to unload all of this junk for free!


Here are some of the gems we have been holding onto for the last decade.

My first Blackberry! Barely a step up from a pager, yes?

What has to be the world's first laptop. I swear it weighed a solid 20 pounds.

My first cell phone! Note the large antenna and mouthpiece that comes down.


I have a feeling that it ran on this wireless network. Zack would be so proud.

Other suburban joys. I bought an ugly bar stool at a garage sale for $5. This allows me to put on makeup, dry my hair, and make food without standing on the aforementioned bum leg. Yay!

We got new rugs for our bathroom. The old ones were stained, flat, and janky. These are light, fluffy, and soft. It excites my feet to step on them when exiting the shower.

We're getting new closet doors. We have the original, 60 year old sliding doors that don't really slide so well. They jump the track all of the time, and end up looking like junk. Plus, when the fall off the track, they trap all of the contents inside, which doesn't come in handy.


I also re-discovered the joys of RIT dye. Since I'm picky, I decided to dye the changing table covers and basket liners kelly green. I love the results, and it was less than $8. The green is a perfect match with the canvas baskets from PBK.


To combat all of the boring suburban exploits, I attended the Grease Sing-a-Long in SF with Sharla and Candace.

I wasn't totally convinced the crowd was going to get crazy, but the minute the lights went down the entire theatre went nuts. It was so fun to be able to sing along with the movie. Nothing like belting out Summer Nights along with 300 other people.


If delighting in suburban adventures is wrong, I don't want to be right.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

I should have read this post before emailing you asking about everything you just wrote here. I love suburban life. I get great joy from refuse disposal in all its forms. There is a free paper-shredding day coming up in August you should be aware of. Your changing table looks great! And don't worry about the trouble sleeping . . . it will come.

Ashley said...

P.s. It boggles the mind that you still had that caveman laptop. I would have hidden that badboy in the bottem of my garbage can a long time ago.

brooke said...

I can't believe you still have all that electronic junk! The cell phone with the antennae is the best. Did you have one of those car phones when they first came out. I had a friend whose dad was rich and he had one.

Love all the home stuff. New bathroom rugs are the best! I just dropped off three identical barstools to the DI. We upgraded to much nicer ones but I had those old ones for 10 years!

Don't worry about losing your mind. It was going to go anyway when you delivered so why not say goodbye now? Imagine how braindead I am after having four kids--it's a miracle I can still function...

The Mostess said...

All of the electronic junk had sensitive information on it, especially the work stuff. I'm very protective about that info, considering who my boss was. I wanted to make sure it was all shredded and killed, so I waited for a recycling day.

I'm ALL over the document shredding day. Candace has already offered to take in my bags of mail, and I'm letting her!

Kristine Gray said...

I'm always over at the Green recycling place for Sunnyvale. Wehave old cables and wires we trip over and no idea what they go to.
Nursery is looking good!

The Gilberts said...

Yay! Grease sing a long! I wish I coulda been there--- love the coordinated baskets-- and enjoy pregnancy brain! It just gets better and better as you get close to delivery! haha

LJ, DC and ML said...

That grease sing a ling must have been awesome. I am sorry to have missed it, but will have a new shower sing song this morning in your honor.
Ps. At least you know you have preggo brain. I thought I was doing great but later learned I was screwing all kinds of things up.

Unknown said...

Good thing you have a brunette friend to get you to your flight on time (and make sure your luggage makes it out the door!)

Lance said...

Don't beat yourself up over missing the flight; just think of your suburban successes in thrift and eWaste recycling!

Tim said...

Is it me or does the changing pad look like astroturf?