Thursday, January 7, 2010

Gone Too Soon


I know it's human nature to be upset when losing things or people before their time. It hardly seems fair.

Which is why I am so upset at having lost one of my great loves--Fuel Restaurant in San Jose. You know, the one where the owner Gene knew my name and order by heart. It was like my Cheers. I'm a cute, female, less fat version of Cliff.

And it closed right before Brooke was coming into town--we already had plans to dine there. On to plan B, which will NOT be at Chili's, Olive Garden, or that other crappy chain you tried to sell me on. Um, I'm allergic to all of the food at all of those places. I'm thinking Dish-Dash. That was my "go-to" before Fuel came into my life.

I have a few words to say about you, Fuel:

I had birthday parties with you.

I snuck off to lunch with you.

I snuck off to dinner with you.

I got takeout for my fun GNO's from you.

I dreamt about your generous portions of grilled pork salad rolls--4 for $8. I would have paid double.

You were my "go-to" restaurant when I was trying to look hip and fancy. Everyone was always impressed. They came out with full bellies, and smiling pocketbooks.

The worst part is I never got to say goodbye. You just up and left me. I feel so alone. I think I need a grief counselor.

PS--another Fuel devotee and I have been emailing each other tonight on Yelp. We're going to leave a note for Gene on the door and hope he gets it. Whoever hears from Gene first will email the other person. We want to know where he's going next, cause you know our crazy arses will be there day and night!

That's not weird, right?

PSS--Aren't you glad this wasn't another NKOTB post??

6 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

It must be a conspiracy against all the awesome restaurants that cook gluten free. Where are we suppose to eat now? I'm forlorn and depressed. I was just there a couple days before x-mas and wanted to go back on my next date night out. Woes me, woes, me!

PS-Can I meet the famous Brooke?

Ashley said...

Restaurants come and go, but some touch our lives in a way that we will never, ever be the same.

Or something. I only went to Fuel once but it was good eats and I was excited to go there next week.

I can understand not digging Chili's (the one in Santana Row is gnarly) but the OG?!? Come on! Have you tried their salad? And CPK! The corn chowder?!?

The Mostess said...

What could I possibly eat at CPK or Olive Garden. Mmm...pizza and pasta and breadsticks.

Oh wait, I would die. No bueno!

brooke said...

I love the homemade tombstone for Fuel. You have some mad photshop skills.

The only thing I ever get at CPK is the chicken caesar sandwich on garlic herb focaccia with a side or tortilla soup. But you probably can't eat bread at all so even that wouldn't work for you.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally not suggesting CPK. Ashley and I can slum on our own time.

I sent you an email discussing restaurant choices.

Unknown said...

Sad, sad, sad. I only went there once, and had to cancel a visit there this past weekend.

I'm sure you'll let us all know when you find a "replacement".

Lance said...

This is indeed a total bummer! That place was good. Time to find something new I suppose. Fuel is gone but not forgotten.