Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Music Wrap-Up for 2009

As the year starts winding down, I would like to do my annual Top 10 list of favorite songs from 2009. You can find last year's here.

Best Songs of 2009

1. Lady Gaga. Just Dance, Poker Face, Love Game, Paparazzi, Bad Romance...the list is endless. Truly the most talented and original singer in the last 10 years. The new Madonna. She's here to stay.

2. Kings of Leon. Sex on Fire, Use Somebody. Just behind Gaga in originality and creativity. Album is amazing--love the lead singer's voice.

3.The Black Eyed Peas. Boom Boom Pow. This was the jam that kept me up all night long in Vegas.

4. Britney Spears. 3/Circus. Killer dance songs. She continues to reign.

5. Cascada. Evacuate the Dance Floor. Another killer dance song. Look it up on Youtube if you don't know it.

6. Jamie Foxx/T. Pain. Blame it. This song is trashtastic, and I love it.

7. Kid Cudi. Day n Nite. The Crookers remix.

8. Kayne. Heartless. Kanye is Kanye. I'm embarrassed to have him on this list.

9. Muse. Uprising. A solid band with placement on last year's chart as well.

10. T-Swizz. Love Story/You Belong with Me. Funny, talented, cute, dated a Jo Bro. What's not to love?? PS. I should have put her above Kanye to teach him a lesson, but I'm lazy.


And here are the ten songs that made me want to drive off a cliff. If you need to interrogate me, play these songs in a room, and I'll start talking.


Worst Songs of 2009

1. Colbie Caillat. Fallin' For You. Blech.

2. Owl City. Fireflies. I do NOT want to hear about you dancing with and/or receiving affection from bugs. Ever.

3. Leona Lewis. Happy. Does not make me happy.

4. Jason Mraz/Colbie Caillat. Lucky. It's a holdover from 2008, but it ruined enough of my 2009 airtime, so it gets a nod. He is also responsible for "I'm Yours."

5. Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana. Party in the USA. Kill me now.

6. Beyonce. Sweet Dreams. The stations are really trying to push this one, but they should just throw in the towel. Single Ladies it's not.

7. Black Eyed Peas. I Gotta Feeling...that song sucks.

8. LMFAO. I'm from Miami. Then you should just stay there and stop torturing the rest of the US with your crappy song.

9. Rihanna. Russian Roulette. Love the voice, hate the song.

10. David Archuletta. Every single song, but the "Christmas Album" is by far the biggest offender.

Gimme yours if you're not totally offended. I know Archie has his little Mormon minions around this place.

16 comments:

louisgray said...

So stoked for this list. I would be lying if I hadn't admitted to thinking about this when hearing new music ALL YEAR. Will bring online paparazzi in a second.

Jennifer said...

some of my favs:
"Down" Jay Sean
"I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" Pitbull
"Knock You Down" Keri Hilson
"Fire Burning" Sean Kingston

along with"fireflies" "party in the usa" i hate:
"Birthday Sex" Jeremih
"You're A Jerk" New Boyz--great dance, awful beat.
"Paranoid" Jonas Brothers
"Hoedown Throwdown" Miley Cyrus

The Mostess said...

Jenni--loved "Down" but I've heard ti so many times, I couldn't add it as a fave.

Good call on "Birthday Sex." One of the worst songs ever--not just from this year. I haven't even heard the Joe Bro's or other Miley/Hannah song. I hope to keep it that way.

brooke said...

Nothing makes me feel older and lamer than my apathy to music. I'm so out of the loop. I only recognized Taylor Swift's songs on your list. And I like Colbie Caillat and Jason Mraz. Hate me.

Hayley said...

how can you & i be so compatible as friends? your worst list is my fave, & your fave list is my worst...of the songs that i do know on there. nonetheless...thanks for sharing.

Lance said...

All good choices and I basically agree, but an honorary mention is due for for Oakenfold's epic release, Perfecto: Vegas.

louisgray said...

Ever since I got fatigued with 105.3 and 104.9 nay... 92.3, I've been listening to 94.9, so this means I actually agree with you more this year than last. MY FAULT.

That's why I have to agree with Lady Gaga and Boom Boom Pow, even if I turn my nose up at Day N Nite. So sick of that song. Blah.

But I still think there are a few you left off, namely:

1. Tiesto / Feel It In My Bones and Here On Earth
2. Pet Shop Boys / Vulnerable (Love Etc. and Pandemonium also awesome)
3. Deadmau5 / Ghosts 'N' Stuff
4. Oakenfold and Barry Jay / Infused
5. Crystal Method / Drown In The Now
6. Royksopp / The Girl and the Robot (And It's What I Want)
7. Armin Van Buuren / Never Fade Away
8. Josh Gabriel & Winter Kills / Deep Down
9. Black Eyed Peas / Meet Me Halfway
10. Chris Brown / I Can Transform Ya

Know what's sad about this list? New albums from ATB, Paul Oakenfold and Depeche Mode were mostly complete duds. It would be a stretch to pick "Wrong" by DM in the top ten... wouldn't it?

And the biggest songs, as usual, for me, in 2009 came out the previous year, like The Fear by Lily Allen, and Kaskade/Deadmau5 doing I Remember. Sigh.

There's another name I would love to add to this list who has never ever been on the radio. Adam Singer. His albums (Lifeforce, Drifting, Gradient Sound, etc.) are fantastic. Pass those to Lance by way of http://www.myspace.com/adamgsinger...

The Mostess said...

I will pass along to Lancer.

I liked "Meet me Halfway" but the heavy rotation is killing me.

I actually saw Oakie in Vegas, and his set was killer. I'm back on track.

I did love DM's Wrong, but I'm still pissed about the canceled concert. So, I left them off as punishment. I will check out some of your suggestions--we have always liked the same music.

Ashley said...

Totally agree with Gaga (great cardi music) and Taylor.

The other day I was listening to some Jason Mraz-sounding song and I found myself getting into it. I feared how it would affect our friendship. Turns out it was actually Michael Buble, so we're all good right?

Ashley said...

I meant Gaga is great cadio music. I do love me some good cardis though.

Jennifer said...

Woah woah WOAH. Saying that Michael Buble sounds like Jason Mraz is personally offending. Watch your mouth!!! :)

The Mostess said...

What Jenni said. You are now Tier 2.

Ashley said...

Mraz, Buble = same dude. Along with Josh Groban.

Bryce said...

I agree with your lists mostly, except for the inclusion of Sweet Dreams in your worst list, I think it's a great song with lots of energy.

Alie said...

I know I'm not a cool kid, but I still love Jason Mraz. And proud of it. Sorry Kaari!

Life's a Dance said...

Totally agree about Owl City and the bugs. Stop playing it! Reminds me of the fruit song - raspberries or peaches or something that got played over and over a couple of years ago.

New fav for me (might actually be old) is Mika "Touches you."

And Buble over Groban any day. :)