Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy 35th to my Baby!!

Not this baby...

...this baby!! Look at Baby Dobbie--he was so little!

Baby just turned 5, which is allegedly 35 in dog years. Baby is older than me! I'm okay with that--he's still my baby.

I know he can't really read this down the line, but I thought he deserved his own post. Don't we all love being showered with accolades? I know I do.

1. When we picked him out, there was a pool of 9 puppies whining and playing. It was the single cutest thing I have ever seen. We read in a book that you should stare the dog down--if they stare back without blinking or looking away, that is the litter psycho. If you have one that never, ever looks at you, that is the runt. We did the test, and baby looked away, then back, then away. He passed.

2. He was the only redhead in his litter.

3. When we brought him home, we didn't really know what to do with him. We ran around the yard with him a little, then sat there wondering what to do when he got tired.

4. We loved playing Demon Dog with him.

Demon Dog

5. We spent forever trying top pick out his name--then settled on Logan, since that was where Lancer went to college.

6. We bought his full-size doggie den for when he was grown. Since he was so small, we boarded it up, only leaving the front 1/4 for him. We left it on a little too long, and thought we stunted his growth. Turns out he's an English lab, and they're smaller in size. Phew.

7. This is my favorite photo of Logan--we titled it "on the lam"

8. We freaked out one day when we thought we discovered a weird growth. I ran him to the vet, and then informed me it was his belly button. Doi.

9. He really, really hates that blasted head cone. I hate making him wear it.

10. His name is officially Logan Dogface Jacobs. Lancer's dad gave him the middle name--it's what he calls him when he sees him. It started as Logan, then Logie, then Dogie, then Dobie, then Dobbie. He also answers to Baby and Lil Guy. ;)

11. He once charged Bon-Bon as she bent over to put something in the cupboard. We still laugh about that one.

12. When he was little, I yelled at him for some infraction and he was so scared he peed. I felt like a bad mom.

13. Logan taught Lancer a lesson, too. He did something naughty once and Lance gave him a good scruff shaking. His shoulder still hurts 3 years later.

14. I had no idea he could jump this high. I was totally surprised, per my face.

15. Most of the Dobbie tales involve his schemes for food. He is a non-stop, eating, vittle thieving machine.

16. He ate the door handle of my car on the way to his trainer. Gee, I wonder why he needed a trainer?


17. In true "kid" fashion, we buy him a huge bin of toys, and his favorite thing to play with is a crappy, old, chewed up bag.

18. Most of the ornaments on our tree have to do with Logan and our world travels

18. Logan is the most polite, well-behaved dog you will ever meet. People are amazed at his gentle demeanor.

19. He doesn't bark--ever. Unless there's a squirrel or a cat, and then he's all over it.

20. I can't watch Marley and Me without bawling--I can't imagine not having Baby as a part of our little family.

21. He has webbed paws, and puts them to good work


22. He's happiest in a big, open, green field. Give him a stick, and he won't want to leave. When he does move on (SOB!!!!) I will envision him here, running around, waiting to see me again.


23. I believe he has a little soul, and that all dogs go to heaven. Cats are negotiable.

24. He is always, always happy to see us, and excited to play. He's all about fun. Lance says he is the dog version of me.

25. Lancer lets him come and wake me up in bed. He flies in, jumps all over me, and then has to leave because he can't stop himself from chewing on our comforter.

26. When he was little, he would whine on walks. Lancer would pick him up, snuggle him, and walk home with him in his arms. He didn't have the heart to make him walk.

27. Kids love him. He's a good "intro" dog for them because he doesn't bark, bite, nip, or jump.

28. He demands pets and rubs before entering his doggie den for the night. In the morning, he demands pets and rubs before going outside to eat.

29. He loves his pets and rubs--if you place food in front of him, and then start with a good rub, he is totally conflicted...

30. ..But will always choose food. Cause that's my lil guy. Plus, he knows pets and rubs are plentiful round these parts.

Happy Birthday Lil Guy. You make our lives so fun, and we're so happy to have you in our little family. We love you.

8 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

Happy Birthday Logan! You are one cute, cuddly, handsome, awesome dog. We love you!

Kristine Gray said...

PS-If dogs don't have a soul, then who does?

Ashley said...

Hilarious that he is the dog version of you. He was the cutest puppy ever!!! I love the vision of him running through fields in dog heaven. Happy Birthday to Logan Dogface Jacobs! (He is one lucky dog.)

teuscher travels said...

I love this post! He is seriously the best dog I have ever met, hope he has a happy birthday filled with stolen food!

brooke said...

I've never heard him called Logan ever. So funny that is his real name. He seems like a great dog. My kids would love him. They LOVE dogs and I'm a horrible mother for not getting them one. He would be the perfect dog except for the chewing on the door handle.

He was an adorable puppy. Love the photo of him jumping over the chairs. Happy Birthday Dobie!

Hayley said...

happy b-day logan! i love you even more now that i know you were the only red-head in the litter. no wonder you're avy's favorite living creature.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Logan! Thanks for the recap of his life, since I just met him last March. He sure was a cute puppy!

Lance said...

I'm speechless; I can't believe it has been 5 years. Lil guy is our special lil furry baby. Now if we can just get him to stop licking his giblets - that would be progress.