Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cookies, Candies & Treats....oh my!

I threw my 5th annual cookie exchange this evening. I have a stomachache to end all stomachaches right now, and I have no one to blame but myself. It was fantastic fun.

The cookie swap was started by my sister, Eriika. She started hers in Colorado about 10 years ago. I didn't want to be the only sister without a tray of treats, so I joined in the cookie fun. In short, people bring 72 cookies and take home 72 different cookies. It's genius.

This picture has nothing to do with the cookie party; rather, it's to illustrate why it's a good idea to get married. Because when you don't, you eat pizza like this, because "it's too hard to cut it." Yes, Lance is married. To me. But I was busy with cookies and such. Poor Lancer has been batchin' it.

The cookie party is kinda low-key. It's all about the cookies, so dinner is secondary. Here's what I served up. Limeade...

...homemade chili, cornbread with whipped honey butter, and a green salad. And no dessert, cause that's what the cookies are for.

Here are my gluten free offerings. I did traditional peanut butter blossoms because A. I can eat them and B. No one else would make them because they would never, ever win the cookie contest. And that's what this whole deal is all about peeps--the prizes. More info to come.

Presiding over the table '0' treats. The amount of treats actually grew after this. Crazy.

Here are shots of all the treats. Take it in. There are 26 different treats here. All tasty.


The ladies, taking time to chat and catch up. There are a few girls I only see once a year at this party, and I love it. We had several new people, too, so the title for best cookie was totally up for grabs.

The cookies for the judges--lucky boys.

And here are the judges! Jesse on the left is an amazing baker with lovely blue eyes. Next is Travis who brought a salad to this Easter party--a salad I still dream about. Bon-Bon loves Travis, and often asks about him. He's so great, he even wins over moms! Next is Steve Leeflang who had whipped up some of the greatest treats I have ever eaten. And last is Hooman, an amazing professional Chef. We were lucky to have such a talented pool to judge our tasty treats.

The ladies checking out the various entries, trying to figure out who would place.

And look who popped by! Edward! His sign says it all. Click on it to enlarge. I wish I were in his special diet, though being sampled by a Werewolf is also appealing.

Exiled baby. It was for his own good. And for our cookies.

And...the judges arrive to announce the winners! This is like waiting for the Olympic scores, except for the lame Russian who is totally biased.

The ladies in waiting

Lindsay, a new party-goer, won 3rd place. She got a red cake stand in addition to the goodies all the girls get--spatula, cookie magazine, cookie plate for Santa, towel, cookie cutter, and a gingerbread man ornament for bragging rights during the holidays. Her winning entry was absolutely gorgeous. It was a cookie with 2 types of custard and topped with fresh strawberries with glaze. In fact, somebody tried to railroad her attendance in fear that she would place. As it turns out, this fear was founded. Better luck next year, girl! Though I am quite excited for you to be angry about it all year. Haha. Love ya, H.

Candace won 2nd place--she got a cute green polka dot bowl along with her goodies. Her winning entry was a flat cookie with a chocolate coating with nuts. Sorry, I don't have a better description--I can't eat them.

And first prize went to Sarah! She was so surprised--it's nice to see a happy winner. Her main prize was a set of red nesting bowls I almost kept for myself. Congrats, girl! Her winning entry was a date ball.

Once the boys announce the winners, the swap begins. The girls get their platters, and start filling their trays with treaties.

Go, ladies, go!

For my effort, I get the following:

It's a fair exchange--and then some. Thanks to everyone for another successful swap. See you in 2010. Until then...enjoy your treats!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

I was excited for this post so I could relive the good time. Your chili was so good and the perfect hearty food to go with all the cookies. I had a fabulous time and bow to The Mostess, even if you did post a big picture of my backside.

Heather said...

Those goodies look amazing! How fun!

teuscher travels said...

The party was divine (and you know I must truly mean it since I am still a touch bitter about not placing..)! The food was sooo good, still dreaming of your honey butter and the house was perfect and cute as usual! Thanks for another awesome party!!

brooke said...

First, I know the pizza that Lancer is eating--CPK frozen bbq chkn pizza right? We eat it regularly and the secret is to bake it shorter than it says and on less heat.

Second, I recognized Ashley's arse instantly.

Third, you throw a dang good party. I can't believe you even cooked dinner for everyone in addition to the cookie exchange.

Those prizes were awesome. Where did you find the darling green bowl with dots. So cute.

This is why I wish you lived here or I lived there. I need more good parties in my life.

Stephanie said...

Man, this makes me depressed I couldn't come. I had some great recipes in mind, too.

Hayley said...

to "somebody's" defense, they had gotten 3.5 hours of sleep the night before, then spent all sunday morning in urgent care with a sick newbie for 5 hours. by the time "somebody" got home, all they could do was ask husband to show her where the bed was.
although the cookie party is something that "somebody" discusses & analyzes all year, she felt more like a halloween zombie than a merry elf.
however, after pep talks from husband & the mostess, she decided to slap on her happy mrs. claus face & attend.
does "somebody" have another whole year to be bitter & talk trash? yes. come on, if i actually won, what would be the highlights of our conversations?

The Mostess said...

"Somebody" tried to talk me out of inviting Lindsay in SF weeks ago. Not on Sunday.

But I am so glad you made it, sad about your loss. Kind of.

Hayley said...

i have no idea what you're talking about (wink, wink). she's too talented. i knew she was guaranteed a spot in the winner's circle.

Smith Family said...

Those are some good pics Kaari. We gave away half our cookies and we still couldn't eat the rest. But I did my best trying!!