Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Germany--Days 5-8

We slept in, then had Euro yogurt for breakfast. I love their yogurt--it's delish! Lancer surprised me with a massages for us later in the day--whoo-hoo!

We got up and did Mediterranean for lunch. Lancer had turkey cutlets with a creamy cucumber sauce, and I had tuna stuffed tomatoes. Tasty-shmasty. After lunch, we visited a museum, walked around Cologne, and then hit a street fair. We had great success when we did this in Paris--we got some of our fave things there--an old teapot and some cool antique French food tins. We got the coolest sign for the party shed--it's now a Euro shed. Pics to come.

After our massages and a swim, LJ ran out to capture the sun as it went down over Cologne.







We headed to this little unassuming restaurant for dinner. Little did we know--we were in for a Michelin rated meal. It was so good!!

My good friend Coca Light. It's not as good as Diet Coke, but we're friends.

Lancer got a dish with turkey, cheese and tomatoes on a bed of spinach.

I got Argentinian beef with mushrooms on a bed of mushrooms, topped with a bacon BĂ©arnaise sauce. It was served with piped potato cakes.


The earlier referred to mullet. It's like a Euro mullet-hawk.

The next morning, we walked around Cologne some more, and then shopped. This is the bridge connecting our hotel and the cathedral. It was filled with these locks where people declare there love on them (Heike + Mathias Forever!!) and then lock them onto the bridge. Weird.

I stopped by the Nutcracker House. My sis is a big nutcracker freak. Imagine my Christmas village...and then times it by 2.

Hopped on the train to our next stop--Nuremberg. This guy was the train ticket checker. Check out that stache!

After arriving a little late, we checked into the Hotel Maritime, which was really close to the old city. We were excited to check it out the next day.

The next day, we explored Nuremberg. We saw a few historical places, including the main castle. We also hit up the toy museum for fun. We were out all day long.





This "wig" shop was located in the train station. I especially like melanoma Ken, and the creepy dude in the lower right hand corner. Nice beard. And glasses. And rug.

We did a day trip to Anberg, known for its two tunnels known as the "town spectacles." While there, we kicked back in a traditional Beer Garden and chilled for an hour.



Stopped and got a yummy Euro snack...

In front of the famous specs...

At night, we returned to Nuremberg, and had dinner in the old town. I finally went for a "traditional" Bavarian treat--a city sausage with sauerkraut and friend potatoes, while Lancer got a turkey salad. Below, he's noshing on pretzel bread. I dream of such a thing.

After dinner, we walked around for hours, eating ice-cream and smooching. It was dreamy.

3 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

Welcome back you jetsetters! Your trip looks amazing.I'm getting hungry hearing about all the yummy food. You missed NOTHING back here at home.

Ashley said...

I have too many thoughts I fear I won't remember them all. Your trip looks like so much fun! I love the trekking around in a cool place all day thing! Actually I love the freedom and the snacks and the having fun with the husband. Love melanoma Ken. Love the Euro mullet. Coca-cola light is delicious in Europe--though of course not as good as our homegrown coke. The river and those buildings are so pretty. I love bernaise sauce (sp?) and I love that Germany is all about cute Christmas shops. fun fun fun. Ok, one more post!

brooke said...

I have to say, I've never had any interest in Germany until I read your last two posts--Now I'm dying to go. I love that you tell us what you ate at every meal. My mouth is watering--food is important to me. It all looks so romantic--except the creepy wig shop!