Monday, January 7, 2013

Top Songs of 2012

Better late than never, I say. Without further ado, I present to you the best, and worst, songs of 2012.

Top Songs of 2012

PSY--Gangnam Style. Thanks to a random tweet from our fave DJ, we were on the Gangnam train long before most people. Lance immediately stated that he wanted to learn the dance, and it was at that moment that I realized we had the new Macarena on our hands. Anything that incorporates horsey dance moves along with a glittery wind tunnel is top drawer in my book.



Bruno Mars--Locked out of Heaven. Where has this guy been hiding all of his talent? He vomits up The Lazy Song last year, and then presents us with this amazing Police-y number this year? I hope this version of Bruno is here to stay.

Macklemore--Thrift Shop. An ode to Goodwill plus a sick beat. Nuff said.



Kesha--Die Young. I have a love/hate thing going on with Kesha, but this song is killer.

Swedish House Mafia--Greyhound/Don't You Worry Child. It's been a few years since I've had any EDM on my list, but I LOVE this group, and these 2 songs made me remember why I love house music.



Carly Rae Jepsen--Call me Maybe. Yes, it's cheesy and silly--but it was bumpin' in my car all summer long.

One Direction--What Makes you Beautiful. See above. I can't explain this one, but I'm hopelessly devoted to this song like Sandy was to Danny. I know nothing about them, and can't tell them apart. My inner NKOTB fan does not approve of this fact, but there it is.

The interwebs tells me this is One Direction



Pitbull--Don't Stop the Party. Shameful, but that bass line is SICK. It makes me want to shake it. Ya'll having a good time out there??

Muse--Madness. Reminds me of Numb by U2. Love it. By far the best Madness song thus far.

M83--Midnight City. An ode to 80's synth. LOVE this song.

Honorable Mention: The Biebs and T-Swizz. Both put out great albums with a more mature sound. It will be interesting to see these 2 continue to grow as artists.


 Worst Songs of 2012


Rihanna--Diamonds. UGH. Shine bright like a DI-MON?? Is it just me, or is she off key here? Who told her this was a good song? Worst song of 2012.


 
Fun--Some Nights. I mostly chose this one because they named their band Fun. Not Big Fun, or Crazy Fun--just "Fun." If you can't do better than that, neither can I.

Mumford & Sons--I Will Wait Why? Why? Why? SO BORING.

Lumineers--Ho Hey Because Mumford and Sons wasn't annoying enough, we had to produce an American version. Ho, hey, go away.

Kanye & Friends--Mercy Maybe it's because he game Kim K a cat by this name that she managed to kill within 2 months. Or maybe it's because it bears the line "white girls politickin." Either way--not buying it.



Rihanna/Chris Brown--Cake Wanna hear Rihanna sing the word cake on repeat while the guy that slammed her face into a dashboard sings about her? Me neither.

Lana Del Rey--Blue Jeans  I think SNL drove this point home better than anyone else could.

Flo Rida--Whistle While I won't deny this has a catchy beat, the name and lyrics are just so obvious and lame. Yes, we get what you're saying. You're so very clever, Flo Rida!




Train--Drive By Because it features a line about two ply Hefty Bags, that's why.

Nicki Minaj--Stupid Hoe Is she kidding? If seizures had a soundtrack, I suspect it would sound suspiciously similar to this excuse of a song. Plus, the faces she pulls--UGH.



And there you have it. Thoughts? Anything you think I missed? Do you hate One Direction? Will you still be my friend despite the fact that I gave Biebs an honorable mention? Are you the one person in the world who loves Diamonds? Do you not know what Flo Rida is actually singing about?

8 comments:

teuscher travels said...

Yes, I realize the last question is directed at me... The old fogey in me just doesn't want to believe there is such an obvious song out there!! Cause we love the Glee version (not entirely sure I have heard the real one). I disnt recognize half the songs you mentioned but if you were my friend bc of my music taste you would have gotten rid of me long ago. I do like one direction, I am always a sucker for boy bands, and hate the Tswift never song, she sounds whiny but love the rest of the album. Don't like Rihanna's new stuff either. Your yearly rundowns keep me up to date:)

teuscher travels said...

Maybe I should just have said I have no idea and demanded a detailed explanation post;)

Elizabeth said...

I love your songs list. This one is no exception. My tops are your tops mostly and I too loathe Ri and the wifebasher, the ick factor of whistle (when Lucy first heard that song she said "that song isnt about a whistle is it?" so dumb and obvious. I like a bit of 1D action and I also cant work out why you would call your band FUN.

Carly said...

"You don't know you're beautiful. That's what makes you beautiful." Really???? If this is your taste level then I can totally understand why Mumford and Sons is lost on you. Their songs _are_ boring... if you don't appreciate poetic lyrics that explore the depths of the human condition backed by amazingly talented instrumentalists, that is. Ironically, we can both agree on Carly Rae. With a name like Carly, how can you go wrong? ;)

The Mostess said...

And my head told my heart
Let love grow
But my heart told my head
This time...no

At least One D doesn't try and sound like the poetry I wrote in 7th grade!

Who doesn't love a good Carly?

Ashley said...

I'm with HT on this one--don't know most of these--but I do love Call Me Maybe. Unlike HT I like TSwift's Never song.

Is Gangnam really one of your best, or do you just feel like it has to make the list? That song has nothing to offer me, but I suppose neither did the Macarena.

This is why you have a separate group of friends for dancing in the city, also bankable for your display-off votes.

The Mostess said...

In all of our years as friends, how many times have I ever done something out of obligation?

Exactly.

Em said...

I've been excited for this post! I had to read your list through a few times; I'm about 50/50, I think. I can't stand Ke$ha! But I do love Pitbull, 1D (mainly b/c Mita loves Beautiful and sings along with it), and Carly. I love JBieber's new album. I just don't know about Bruno Mars, tho. I can't wrap my head around that guy.

I don't hate Mumford & Sons, and I love The Lumineers!

However, I agree with about fun., Rihanna, Lana, and Train.

No mention of Maroon 5? No Olly Murs?

And I agree with Gangnam is rightfully on the best list because that song makes me smile every time I hear it. The Macarena never did that.