Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Round Three of the Display-Off: Bountiful Harvest

This is the post to end it all. We have each won a battle, now it's time to see who will win the war. I present to you....Bountiful Harvest!

Who feels like the know my house by heart at this point? In keeping with previous entries, let's start as we walk up the pathway.

To the left you will find my first display



I absolutely love this display. It's so inviting to guests as they walk up the path to our house. Some favorite pieces are:

Crab apples in harvest basket


And seasonal grasses in tin bucket

As you round the corner, you see an overall view of the front of the house with the two additional displays.


This is the display to the left of the door

My crate packed full of seasonal goodies, and the requisite horn 'o' plenty. It's not November without a cornucopia of fall delights.



As promised in Round Two, I turned Hooty into a little pilgrim. He's perched on top of my vintage stove. This is my favorite piece in this particular display. I can't lie.

Here is the next (and last!) display to the right of the door.



There are a few great pieces in this display as well. Vintage milk jug filled with seasonal grasses

Vintage picnic basket filled with fall mums sitting atop vintage crate. I LOVE this piece! The colors really pop against the brown basket.

Raffia wrapped dried corn stalks nestled in my orange canister. Being from Iowa, this was a requirement in the display.

And that's all, folks!

Feel free to praise, trash, or do some combination of both. This round will be decided by a panel of qualified judges (read--light on Ashley's friends) who will be both fair and unbiased. No "I love candy, so Ashley wins" business going on in this ever-important round!

Bring it, Carter!! Let's see what you got!

14 comments:

brooke said...

Amazing...I haven't seen Ashley's yet but I don't know how she is going to compete with that.

Greg said...

Kaari--

The apples look good enough to eat! (Are they real?)

How much would you charge to come decorate our front porch??

The Mostess said...

Brooke has always secretly been my favorite Warner.

Greg--no, and 5 million dollars. Pony up the dough, and I'll head on down to San Clemente!

Ashley said...

Brooke is everyone's favorite Warner. Big deal!

Okay, not bad, not bad. My favorite part is the part by the door--Hooty is adorable in his pilgrim hat, the antique oven is a nice touch, and I like the pumpkin in the basket atop the hay or whatevs.

But I like mine better, and I hope the five voters do too!

Molly said...

Beautiful! Much better than the scary Halloween stuff. ;) I LOVE the pilgrim hat on the owl. Seriously. It made me laugh out loud.

Em said...

Buen hecho! Well done. I love your use of color! I love love the green apples in the basket juxtaposed with the red-orange pumpkin in the same display.

You and Ashley should seriously be on a morning news segment to both show off the displays and do some sort of demo of the planning and execution of Harvest Displays.

Michelle Bodine said...

From this judge, I really do love the colors that you have used Kaari, especially in the picnic basket. But, I think less is more for this season of gratitude and vote for Ashely.

Ashley said...

Michelle is a genius! I am humbled and honored to have her vote!

Kristine Gray said...

This one is REALLY hard. After much fasting, praying, and copious amounts of Coke Zero, I have to go with The Mostess by a slim margin. I love Ash's lanterns, and authentic vintage crate, but the fall grasses,the picnic basket with flowers, and Hooty the Pilgrim, slide it in her favor.

Ashley said...

This is an outrage!!!

Greg said...

I am one of the judges selected by Ashley C. and The Mostess. I couldn't fit my vote in the comment box, so you'll have to go here to see it:

http://homecourthaven.blogspot.com/2011/11/display-off-to-end-all-display-offs.html

The Mostess said...

Greg is wise and amazing. Best judge around.

Uh Nonymous said...

I looked at both entries without checking the site address. I am nothing if not ethical when voting. At first The Mostess' entry seemed incomplete. This surprised me, as I thought her previous (Halloween) display had been very thorough and included aspects of decor I would expect in any high-end display. Then I realized that her display rounded the corner and went all the way to her front door. That was the deciding factor. Her competition, Ashley, had a lovely display that would put my own measly pumpkins and corn to shame. But if this is for a WIN, the competition has to be fierce. I think The Mostess completed the circle by continuing the decor all the way from car door to front door. Kaari gets my vote.

Greg said...

Kaari--

Thanks for your thoughtful comments following my vote in the Display-Off. I loved them and I wasn't sure whether I should laugh (at your second comment) or cry (at the first one). I probably did a little of both! ;)

I really was nervous to take on the responsibility, because I know (or at least I thought I had an idea) how much time it must take to plan and execute the amazing displays that you (and the other contestants) put up.

I doubt that I spent as much time in crafting my decision as you did in putting your display together, but I can assure you that it was a matter of hours (plural) and I really did feel that such amazing efforts by both you and Ashley merited careful consideration.

I graciously accept your offer to judge the cookie exchange. Even though I'm not sure what it is, I can only imagine that the cookies are delicious if you're making them (or even just hostessing the event). I don't think it's in your DNA to do anything halfway!

Happy Thanksgiving!