Monday, October 17, 2011

It Was a Graveyard Smash

Round Two. I want that badge. Ashley is going down. And all of the other contenders, too, including Tyler, who, in a desperate bid, threw his kids in his tiny orange car and tried to pass if off like a real entry. No dice, Tyler! This is what a real Halloween display looks like. Cover your eyes in the scary parts.

Monster Mash

We will start with the display in the front yard. I love the little black cage housing the skeleton. I got it for $8 on clearance at TJ Maxx. I'm not sure its real purpose is, but it makes a fine rattling cage.


Here's a cool night shot of the spooky scene

Rounding the corner, you will see an undead creature rising up from the depths of hell. Or the Santa Clara water system. Either one. Still freaky!

As you continue along the pathway, you will find an overall view of the front of the house.

To the left, you will find our trio of ghoulish friends

To the right, you will find our spooktacular bench, occupied by a bony friend. He's sitting on a vintage crate. I know how you 'Friends of Ashley' just love the real deal.

An overall view of the front door scene

To the left of the door. See anyone familiar? Perhaps a hooty little owl? Ashley (hilariously) left one for me on my porch, because she knows how much I LOVE that owl. She had the audacity to ask if I already had one. I'm so sure.



The front door


My sinister black web, with gigantic spider. Look closely. He's ready to pounce on your head.

And my 'Ghostess with the Mostess' door sign. It's a winner among losers. Black wreaths are played out. They're the hay bales of the Halloween set. To Quote Milli Vanilli...Girl, you know it's true!


To the right of the door, you will see the other Halloween display. And, wait, what's that I see??

Could that be a PDR to rule over all PDR's? Why, yes, it is. A Handmade, Lifesize Mummy!! Go and eat your humble pie now. I hope it tastes as good as Ashley's stale (and also played out) candy on her porch.



Some night shots with my purple lights and killer PDR



I felt like Igor working in the lab. The mummy was so much fun, and he turned out better than I thought he would. I used heavy duty foam, carved out the basic body shape, secured it with wooden dowels, and then wrapped it with quilt batting and duct tape. 20 feet of cheesecloth, a head, and then gave it all a good spray paint to age it.

Now THAT is what a Halloween display is supposed to look like. I admire Ashley's piddly attempt. You know, the one where she had the same display as her Fall Harvest display, but added a bunch of candy corns and tried to pass it off as a new display? Don't be fooled, readers. You know who brought home the bacon on this round. The only really cute thing in her display is an adorable glittery black pumpkin. Someone with great taste must have gifted her that little gem.

I anxiously await your comments and votes. Get crackin!

To officially cast your vote, please visit Ashley's Blog HERE and leave a comment stating your favorite display. It doesn't have to be mine!

21 comments:

teuscher travels said...

And I can attest it is even creepier at night in person! I hated that thing coming out of the ground last year, you really outdid yourself this time! I was Team Ashley all the way on the Fall Harvest - but I have to say I am Team Mostess for this one, you seriously have an amazing display. Good thing is it two out of three!

Greg said...

I'd hate to be your mailman because think I'd be scared to visit your doorstep every day between now and Halloween!

The mummy looks amazing!!! Very impressive (for both the mummy and overall)!

Tyler said...

The spook per sq ft on this display is second to none! Also, I'm digging the pdr. Nice job.

The Gilberts said...

Nice all around-- I like to Crows and lanterns, very PB! and your use of signage-- I'm a fool for signage-- very cool and well executed!

LJ, DC and ML said...

Party shed FTW! Seriously, how many bins does it take to store this fantastic display? Can't wait for Christmas!

Ashley said...

Ho. Ly. Crap.

Okay, first off, let's make it clear that I prefer Cute Halloween (candy, owls, pumpkins, glitter, kids-in-costume, my display in general) to Gory Halloween (fake blood, masks, Great America frightmares, teenagers in costume, cheap cobwebs stretched all over trees). I believe there is a fine line between cool Halloween and fugly Halloween. It's a hard line to walk. But I have to say you have achieved the impossible by walking that line and making a display that is truly spooktacualr and spectacular. Yay, even cute.

The mummy is spooky and scary, but in a good way. The scariest part about him is the amount of effort you put in--where in the world did you get 20 feet of cheesecloth?!? You have suffered for your display, and it paid off. Have fun storing that guy!

The skeleton in the cage is fantastic--your second-to-best piece.

Your best piece, of course, is that adorable owl. If you win it will be because of him.

Elizabeth said...

Your display is awesome! Where do you get the energy ??? and can I have some?

Linda said...

wow. . .I'm speechless. No contest, you win, baby!

Linda said...

I tip my hat to you Mostess. This is what a true Halloween display looks like. And I'm with Ashley, I prefer cutesy to scary but this one takes the cake.

Give the woman the badge.

Linda said...

That was me, Brooke, Signed is as mom...doh!

Stephanie said...

I told myself I wouldn't get involved, mostly because I have no energy to create anything remotely cute on my porch at this point in my life, but I will still vote.

After hours and hours of inspecting all pictures, including Tylers, I have come to the conclusion that Kaari gets my vote. Mostly because, as Ashley put it, it is SPOOKtacular AND spectacular at the same time. And yeah, it wasn't nasty spooky, it was just the right amount.

My favorite piece is the skeleton in the cage. Good job. Can't wait to see it in person on Saturday. (you can count this as my rsvp since I'm pretty sure I haven't done it yet.)

Stephanie said...

oh yeah, and the title of the post is awesome.

Em said...

First, I amen Ashley's comment. Cute v. Gory? I usually prefer cute, too, but Mostess you rocked this display!

That is the most spooky spectacular display I have ever ever ever seen. Is B scared of the man coming out of the ground? It scares the bejeebers outta me just looking at him as do those big black crows.

I too am wondering though where on earth you found so much cheesecloth. I didn't think that stuff still existed...

Kristine Gray said...

Bravo! Excellent use of space and theme. I'm totally impressed and LG is swayed to your side. (the traitor!)
If Lance goes missing and you're on a beach in the Caymans, should we unwrap the mummy?

Molly said...

Mummy--awesome. Use of the lantern--awesome. Skeleton in the cage--awesome. Witch's hat on the owl--awesome. Zombie--gross but awesome. I'm not a big gory/scary Halloween fan, though, so I'm not sure I can vote for your display over all. You did a GREAT job. Seriously impressive. It's just not my style, so my vote is still up for grabs!

katie said...

After carefully reviewing each entry, I think you win based on sheer volume. It was a close call between you and Brooke though-NOT!

I especially loved the witch hat on the owl, the mummy, and the mostess sign, which added a personal touch. No joke, that dead person actually freaked me out for a second. I have probably been watching too many Walking Dead episodes.

Greg said...

Mostess, I have no idea how you come up with these ideas, but your display is amazing! You totally won my vote which I just officially cast on Ashley's blog.

Uh Nonymous said...

Wow. My son would throw me over so he could be adopted by you. He's so Halloween obsessed. When I show him the pics of your display, there will immediately be a deluge of demands to know where it is, why ours isn't as good, etc. But when he's right, he's right.

Greg said...

Kaari!

I think you won! Congrats...but the only problem is how do you top this next year???

I'm actually not that worried though. If anyone can pull it off, you can! :)

The Mostess said...

I have a blog crush on you, Greg. Brooke said it first, so it's not weird.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings, and that badge is on my blog!

Oh, I can top it all right. I already have next year's theme all planned out. September and November may be up for grabs, but October is all mine, baby!

Greg said...

Kaari, you're far too kind, but I can see why you have so many loyal friends! :) I have no doubt that you will own October 2012!

But for now, at least we can enjoy this year's display. My only regret is that I won't get to see it in person.

PS--I think you know my cousin-in-law as well as the younger brother of one of my friends from my ward growing up. Please tell Carrie T. and the Teuschers hi for me!